How old is too old to believe

Avonlea22

Jessamine Cottage
8 Years
Aug 27, 2011
Another topic regarding Santa got me thinking about this. My daughter, who just turned 12 in October, still seems to believe in Santa. Is this wrong? How old were your children when they discovered that Santa was not "real".

I think that ours knew at 4 or 5 and then pretended for the sake of the Princess and me. On the other hand, I am 70 and still believe. I don't think that there is a 'too old.'

I don't believe that there is a "too old" age either. As a teacher, I was always upset that children seem to lose their childish innocence far too early.

Usually well before sixth grade, however, someone breaks the news unless you home school. The other possibility is that she is enjoying your enjoyment with the Santa tradition and is pretending knowing it makes you happy.

On the other hand, my fourth grade grandson warned his younger sister to keep saying she believes in Santa because the 'Santa' gifts are always bigger and better than the 'parent' gifts.

Love, Linn B (aka Smart Red) Gardening zone 5a - 4b in south-est, central-est Wisconsin with NINE eggs today!

I will say that if pressed my children will tell you that Santa was a person named st nicholas and he died a long time ago. That all the magic and wonder in the stories are just that. Stories. I do not press them. They continue to want to believe and I am ok with that. They are 9 and 11. Logically I also know it is not real but I like to believe also. Christmas should be magic and wonder and love and happiness. In the spirit of all that insist on believing right along with them. Its good that there is that innocence and wonder still. Wonderful thing.

I was about her age. I was heartbroken when I found out
hmm.png
Santa was so big in our Christmas tradition.

11-12 is the age my girls started to ask I told them...you make mom think that you are going to ruin Xmas by doubting in Santa,,you get nothing under that tree from him!!!! ..If mom still believes at 40--you bess be believing too!!

My oldest son figured it out really young about 4 or 5 yrs. One time we lived in a really small town and the local radio show had a dj that was having the kids call in and say what they wanted for Christmas. So unknown to me, my son calls in and I have the radio on and hear his voice over the air (he was in the kitchen hiding with the phone). He is telling the guy (and all the other little kids in town) that there was no such thing as Santa Clause and it was really his parents LOL! The guy acts like he wasnt sure what to do and finally tells my son that he was a naughty boy and was gonna get coal in his stocking
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom