Red Star Hen Can't Close Beak

j9pestel

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2023
Hi Everyone. Not sure this is the correct category for this, but it seems like it is. I noticed about a week ago that one of our hens can't close her beak all the way. When we purchased them in early October, she was fine. This is a new development. I even gave her a private little stash of scratch, and she is having trouble eating it. If anyone can tell me what may be wrong with her, I would greatly appreciate it. If it has any bearing, I believe she may have just gotten over (or maybe is still in the process of getting over) Fowl Pox. Thank you all in advance.
Beak Issue.jpg

Can you get a better and closer picture of her beak? Specifically, the back part of it. It looks swollen, which still might be part of the Fowl Pox.

Try giving her a liquid diet where she can drink her food or tube feed her for now.

Can you get a better and closer picture of her beak? Specifically, the back part of it. It looks swollen, which still might be part of the Fowl Pox.

Try giving her a liquid diet where she can drink her food or tube feed her for now.
Thank you so much! You're right... it DOES look swollen. I didn't notice that. I'll try to get a better photo. I'll also take your advice about the liquid diet.

Poor girl. It could be wet fowl pox, canker (trichomonosis), or maybe fungal infection. If you have a vet that will see chickens I'd consider taking her. I'd also keep her from sharing food and water with the other hens in case it is canker, and check your other birds for mouth lesions. To check their mouths I'd wrap them up in a towel so they can't flap and then pull down gently on their wattles while holding their comb near their beak with your other hand.

https://www.chickenvet.co.uk/news/post/a-review-of-oral-lesions-in-backyard-chickens

I was watching her today for a while. She is eating and drinking, but sleeping a lot, too. I managed to get another shot of her beak, and I also cropped it to try and show the swelling better. I also noticed that there seems to be a yellow discharge in her mouth.

Attachments

• Beak Issue c;lose Up 2.jpg
    Beak Issue c;lose Up 2.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Beak Issue c;lose Up.jpg
    Beak Issue c;lose Up.jpg
    534.9 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom