How Old Should A Puppy Be When You Start Training It?

I wouldn't like to start training a dog at six months. I got my last dog when he was 4 1/2 months old. What a miserable mess that was. Way too many things not done, way too many things done wrong (if you can't groom a puppy without losing your temper, don't groom a puppy, K? the poor thing will be miserable every time it's brushed for the rest of its life, that was either one very big outburst or a great many over that 10 weeks). Mistakes and things left out of those young months are very, very hard to undo.

Normally I start training my dogs when I get them, which usually is at 9 or 12 weeks(2 1/2-3 months).

They learn to heel fairly formally, sit and lie down on command, to stay in their crate and sort of go into their crate, to be tied up and to relax and stay where they are tied up, to lie down and lay still for grooming, to have their teeth done and their nails clipped, to be rolled over on their backs and lay there relaxed, they learn to stop barking, recalls on a leash, things like that. They learn most of that in a month or so. There is no need to drag them around to get them leash broke. I just try to direct them and treat them and get it done without having any panicstricken little puppies being dragged around.

Very short sessions, no more than a few minutes with lots of treats, it should be fun and not hard. It should be about two minute's worth. A puppy class once a week, usually. That is hard on the pup and it needs to be with someone who takes breaks. That involves heeling, sitting, lying down, working around other pups, recalls on a leash, and socializing.

Last edited:
Puppies can start learning as soon as they can see and hear!

I would encourage you to visit YouTube and watch some of the vids on Kikopup's channel to learn how you can begin teaching puppies in a positive way as soon as you are able to interact with them.

I would echo everyone's previous opinions and would add one more thing. Don't allow any "cute" puppy behavior that you don't want in your adult dog. It's really hard on everybody to change learned bad habits.

Training should start as soon as you get the pup. Breeders start a 6 weeks. When I picked up one of my Border Terriers at 8 weeks I was shocked to see they all sat on command to wait for thir food to be placed in front of them! Training "classes" don't start at Petco and other places until 6 months for the same reason kindergarten doesn't start until 5 years, because it's our responsibility to teach basic manners, potty train, etc. Kindergarten and puppy school addresses the "next level" so to speak.

The most important commands to teach your pup yourself are WAIT, LEAVE IT, DROP IT. Here's some examples:
A dog needs to know when a door opens they must wait and not go out unless you say so.(My dogs will stand in an open door unless I say "OK")
A dog must be able to leave it if you drop your morning pill on the floor.
A dog must know drop it if they do get something in their mouth that shouldn't be. (you should not have to wrestle to get it back!)

Just my thought on the training subject
wink.png

Last edited:
My saint new all the basic commands before I put her in basic obedience. The reason I did was to get more formality on it and something for us to go do this last summer and socialization. We started classes at 6 months old.

I would start w/ come and sit. My saint is so hyper she knows come but still does not listen to the command well. She knows sit and does it very well.

I have and still have trouble with a couple of command words. I taught my saint to "down" to lay....and when she is on something like the couch and we want her off the word that comes to everyones mind is down which is confusing for her.....I try to get everyone to say off instead but does not work. So maybe say lay. Then you can use down or off for other things.

eta: I did start training of commands and potty training as soon as I got her at 8 weeks old. They grow fast.

Last edited:
I started mine the day we brought them home(4 wks and 7 wks) on simple things like come, sit and no putting paws up on humans. That drifted into not allowing jumping up against our legs, sitting to wait for feeding and awareness of authoritative voice.

I can't imagine waiting for 6 mo. before training anything, especially socialization skills. Dewley had his first outing into the big, bad world at 11 wks and performed like an old pro....I was simply amazed and tried to act like I wasn't a bit surprised and I had trained him in that manner~the truth was he is just very intelligent and calm by nature. Makes things easier!

Sometimes it does depend on the breed and when you start to formal training.
But the training you are speaking of can be started the very moment you pick the pup up.
Like Redeyre, I started to train my pups before they left my home. They didn't jump on people and sat calmly. Now if you sat on the floor and called them over all bets were off!
lol.png

I have gotten compliments over and over from the people who got my pups on how well socialized they were and easy they were to train from what I had already begun.

At the same time I wouldn't bring my pups to any schooling before their shots were completed.

I think the ''Look at me." command can be started early, and will make everything else easier.

and please flood us with puppy pictures!
big_smile.png
I love puppy pictures.

Back
Top Bottom