How Old Should A Puppy Be When You Start Training It?

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
Just wondering..cause i called Petco and asked about their puppy classes and they said around 6 months!! Wha?? I dont know.. that seems kind of old too me... Is it?
hu.gif

I do know that his attention span will be very short at 8 weeks... but i dont think they are un-trainable until 6 months old.. Maybe i'm wrong though.. (wouldnt be the first time..
roll.png
..)
I'm getting an 8 week old pup tomorrow.. when can i start training him..and what should i start with first?
big_smile.png

I want the basic commands.. Come/sit/stay/lay/leave it... etc..?
Thanks!

Last edited:
As soon as you get your pup, start teaching him. First thing would probably be sit. When we got Sadie that was the first thing I taught her. Before she eats, she must sit first. Also, start teaching the pup to walk on a leash right away also. Then work on down, stay, come, etc. Teaching them to properly greet people is also another good thing to teach.

Socialization with other pups should start right away too. 6 months is too old. I believe Sadie was 12 weeks when she went to her first puppy class. I planed for her to start her first class at 8 weeks but I was the only person who signed up for the class so they postponed it.

Oh, and what kind of pup are you getting?
smile.png

ETA: Start teaching Come right away also. With Sadie I stood on one end of the yard and had somebody else stand on the other end. I would call her by her name, and make some fun nosies, clap etc. Once she started running to me I would say the command "Come", this way she knows Come means to run to me.

Last edited:
Thanks! Yeah..i'll need to find another puppy class place around here..(if i can)
6 months seems to old to start to me too..
I'm getting a mutt dog.. Boxer x Standard poodle.. (the little pup in my avatar)
Should be an interesting combo..
hmm.png

Quote:
Gah! What a dingbat...
Hubby called and the guy said 6 months.. and that 8 weeks is waaay to young to even try..because they have no attention span at that age.
He just talked to a regular worker there... not a trainer.
yeah.. we'll try and call again.. see if we get a different answer.
I KNEW that answer didnt sound right!
lol.png

Hi Redhen! Congrats on your new little one! Very cute. Smartest dog I ever had was a Standard poodle!
big_smile.png

Keep in mind that EVERYTHING you do with your new dog is teaching him something; either a behavior you are deliberately training or a behavior you are allowing/reinforcing without being aware of it. Are you planning on crate training your new pup? It makes house breaking much easier and far less stressful, imho. Marker training is a wonderful way to begin training your dog; it is all positive with nothing negative to get in the way of your bonding with the new family member.

Personally, I like to train my dogs at home and then use the "stores" for distraction work. JMHO.

When I used to breed Shelties I would start their training at 6 weeks. Any pup I bring home gets started on training no later than the next day.
I got my Aussie pup at 8 weeks. By 9 weeks he knew sit and by 10 he knew down, lay and was house broke.

Last edited:
I don't think I would worry about outside training till after 16 weeks to make sure there immunity is kicked in good.

Poodles are retrievers so I bet you could have all the basics an fetching going good at home by then though.

I have pugs fetching by 16 weeks an lets face it, there not as smart.

Back
Top Bottom