Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5-7

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • 8-10

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • 10+

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
Just voted -- my oldest hen "Fancypants Johnson" is 12 -- will be 13 next month. She has layed 4 eggs so far this season. She needs some TLC -- I have to be careful not to introduce aggressive hens into the flock. And this spring I separated her for a week because she had some bleeding around her vent. And today I gave her a bath and trim because she was pasting up -- her abdomen under her vent is saggy like an old lady and gets messy if the feathers get long. She still seems to be doing ok -- moves slower, but still loves to scratch for bugs out in the yard. I bought her at an auction in a box of day old chicks and is likely a mixed breed and looks like a golden Appenzeller Spitzhauben.

Attachments

• 20210508_145348.jpg
    20210508_145348.jpg
    682.4 KB · Views: 5
Very seldom do they make it past 3-4-5 years.. when egg production noticeably slows, they are retired.. and turned into dog food and put in the freezer in the barn..

Currently, my oldest laying hen is 6. (I don't have any hens older than that). She doesn't lay anything in the winter, and she has slowed down for the summer, so right now I'm getting 1-2 eggs per week. But in the spring, I was getting an egg almost every day from her.

Back
Top Bottom