how old were your pullets when they laid their first egg?

Yes, there is quite a variability at times even within a chicken sub-type. Hybrids are bred to lay and start as early as about 14 weeks, but pure breeds can be much later,
Sandie

i got my first egg about 2 weeks ago from one of my ee's and she was 22 weeks old. still waiting on the other ee to lay and she is now 24 weeks old
hu.gif

EE's First to start was 23 weeks and the last to start was 28 weeks.

My BCM are now 18 weeks and have started squatting and checking out the nesting boxes. I am hoping for their first egg in the next couple of weeks.

I don't know why so many people on here claim their pullets lay at such a young age. I have raised probably 60-80 hens from newly hatched chicks, I have had the following breeds: RIR, Production Red, Sex Links, Leghorns, EEs, BOs, BRs, Silkies, Ameraucanas, Games, OEGB, and probably some more that I am forgetting.

The SOONEST I ever had ANY of them lay was a White Leghorn who laid her first egg at 22 weeks of age. The rest starting about 23-30 weeks old, and one (Leghorn) didn't even lay until 9 months. The Ameraucanas didn't start until after they were a year old. All the others average about 30 weeks.

I have 5 Gold SLs that are 19 weeks and 2 days old today. They don't look like they are ready to lay anytime soon. I have a game pullet that is 23 weeks old and hasn't started either.

My flock is very, very healthy and they are fed layer crumbles, fresh fruits and veggies, and free range often. I have also hatched out every month of the year, I know seasons make a difference, but I would love to find a breed that lays before 6 months of age. I have yet to find it.

Ummm...my math migh not be perfect, please feel free to recalculate
wink.png

I got my girls at the end of May last year when they were 9wks old

I suspect one of the Black Stars was first to lay on 8/6/09 (still have the pic on my cellphone)
So that would mean she was somewhere around 5 months old:eek:

By September all were laying so between 5 & 6 months old.
The others are another BS, 2 Delawares and a foofy Houdan < she was the last to produce, I tell people she considers her eggs a gift not an obligation
roll.png

We have 14 newbies. 9 barred rocks, 4 black sex links and 1 ameraucana (6 weeks younger than the others). We started getting eggs towards the end of week 19. Now, early in week 20, we are getting 4 to 7 eggs a day. Not sure who all is laying but several of the rocks and at least 1 of the black sex links. I don't expect any green eggs for another 6 to 10 weeks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom