how old were your pullets when they laid their first egg?

ksmith

Songster
9 Years
May 24, 2010
Nor Cal
Also what breed are they? I am just curoious at when my pullets will lay, since some lay at 5 months and others lay at 7 months. so when ddid your pullets start to lay eggs and what were their breeds?? thanks!! post some pictures if you can of your flock!

Waiting expectantly at 4.5 months...I know that's not much help
hmm.png

I started getting a few eggs at 16-17 weeks from Murray McMurray's Pearl White Leghorns... 18 weeks with my Barred Rocks... 28 to 30 weeks for the Ameracaunas, Delawares, and Blk Australorps (Heritage Breeds)

20 weeks~ for my gold comets.

Cochins are 8-10 weeks old and nothing yet ...
caf.gif

My Black Stars are 6 weeks old, Easter Egger is 5 weeks so we'll see on those too

My first pullet to lay an egg was 19 weeks old. The oldest (two) were nine and a half months old. All LF brahmas.
Chickens are individuals. I didn't "start" at the same time my sisters did either.

I have 12 RIR, they are 21 weeks and one of them just started 3 days ago. I've been geting 1 tiny egg a day for 3 days.

We have a mixed flock of layers, and the first ones to lay were the RIR's and one of the BR's at about 21 weeks. The ones that took the longest were one of the BR's, a Welsummer, and one of the EE's at about 10 1/2 months. Just goes to show that they are all truly different. The two barred rocks were from the same supplier, on the same day, and RIR's were one week younger than the BR's and the Buff Orp.

I had a few start at 20 weeks and many after that lay later. I think one started laying at 30 weeks. I can see the differenace in body type in relation to laying time with my Partridge rocks. The lighter laying body form layed sooner than the heavier duel purpose body chickens.

Back
Top Bottom