How "RARE" Are Muscovys?

I will have a lot of drakes to process this year. Too many unplanned hatches. :/

You just have too many good hiding places for brooding ducks. It took me a while but all the hiding places are closed up. whew.

Tell me about it.

This was this weekend's surprise. :barnie

Tell me about it. This was this weekend's surprise. :barnie
Just saw your signature! You definitely need to find the hidey-holes with 120 muscovies! So, what´s another 6!!!! You must have every rare colour that exists!!!!!! ;)
I thought that I had found every hidey hole imaginable until they started flying into the woods, laying eggs and bringing the babies back. They are too smart for me. :/

Tell me about it. This was this weekend's surprise. :barnie
can't help but love them.6 ain't bad ;)
6? Oh no, I didn't tell you all about the rest of the day. 6 turned into 11. I heard chirping in the chicken yard about 3 hours after finding the mama and babies. It was 3 more babies just walking around the yard. So, I scooped them up and put them with this mama. Then a few hours later, I found 2 more just walking around the chicken yard. I honestly have no idea where they are coming from and I don't know who the mama is. I walked all over and I couldn't find any hatched eggs anywhere. So, now when I go out in the chicken yard, I just look and listen for new babies. That's not how I planned it or would have liked it to be but that's the only thing that I can do for now. :hit

6? Oh no, I didn't tell you all about the rest of the day. 6 turned into 11. I heard chirping in the chicken yard about 3 hours after finding the mama and babies. It was 3 more babies just walking around the yard. So, I scooped them up and put them with this mama. Then a few hours later, I found 2 more just walking around the chicken yard. I honestly have no idea where they are coming from and I don't know who the mama is. I walked all over and I couldn't find any hatched eggs anywhere. So, now when I go out in the chicken yard, I just look and listen for new babies. That's not how I planned it or would have liked it to be but that's the only thing that I can do for now.
hit.gif

Sounds like they are sprouting out of the ground LOL you poor thing, but thank goodness you were home to scoop up these babies and find a mama for them even if not the right one. Doesn't matter as long as she accepts them. I was only allowed 4 ducklings this year FOUR and lost one of them , birth control at it's finest.
tongue.png
But these girls just about drove me crazy with their insistence of brooding with no eggs under them. Doesn't matter at all if they hatch ducklings it's the brooding that matters to them.
roll.png

Sounds like they are sprouting out of the ground LOL you poor thing, but thank goodness you were home to scoop up these babies and find a mama for them even if not the right one. Doesn't matter as long as she accepts them. I was only allowed 4 ducklings this year FOUR and lost one of them , birth control at it's finest.
tongue.png
But these girls just about drove me crazy with their insistence of brooding with no eggs under them. Doesn't matter at all if they hatch ducklings it's the brooding that matters to them.
roll.png

I would agree with that!
I had one blue pied muscovy hen that tried for the first time this year. She had 12 eggs, sat on them for 6 weeks, and all were duds so I threw them out. She sat in the empty nest for another 2 weeks before she decided to stop.
She took 3 weeks off then started laying again.
Here's a picture of her now. She's got 9 muscovy eggs (candled them and all are viable) and 4 american buff goose eggs (I put them under her last week when my goose started laying again). Her mate was in there cuddling this morning which I found comical as I've never seen a drake sit on eggs before!

Sounds like they are sprouting out of the ground LOL you poor thing, but thank goodness you were home to scoop up these babies and find a mama for them even if not the right one. Doesn't matter as long as she accepts them. I was only allowed 4 ducklings this year FOUR and lost one of them , birth control at it's finest. :p But these girls just about drove me crazy with their insistence of brooding with no eggs under them. Doesn't matter at all if they hatch ducklings it's the brooding that matters to them. :rolleyes:
I would agree with that! I had one blue pied muscovy hen that tried for the first time this year. She had 12 eggs, sat on them for 6 weeks, and all were duds so I threw them out. She sat in the empty nest for another 2 weeks before she decided to stop. She took 3 weeks off then started laying again. Here's a picture of her now. She's got 9 muscovy eggs (candled them and all are viable) and 4 american buff goose eggs (I put them under her last week when my goose started laying again). Her mate was in there cuddling this morning which I found comical as I've never seen a drake sit on eggs before!
What a cute couple!!!

I would agree with that!
I had one blue pied muscovy hen that tried for the first time this year. She had 12 eggs, sat on them for 6 weeks, and all were duds so I threw them out. She sat in the empty nest for another 2 weeks before she decided to stop.
She took 3 weeks off then started laying again.
Here's a picture of her now. She's got 9 muscovy eggs (candled them and all are viable) and 4 american buff goose eggs (I put them under her last week when my goose started laying again). Her mate was in there cuddling this morning which I found comical as I've never seen a drake sit on eggs before!
That is so cute and he had to have walked over her to get to where he is. LOL She's going to have a lot of babies to keep warm, maybe she has asked him for help.

That is so cute and he had to have walked over her to get to where he is. LOL She's going to have a lot of babies to keep warm, maybe she has asked him for help.

wee.gif
Haha, this is true! And if those goose eggs hatch she will have some LARGE babies to keep warm
wink.png

I have a brooder house that will be ready for them though so I can always (and probably will) move the big happy family in there once the babies hatch. That way I won't risk anyone getting chilled as it is insulated and I keep a few heat lamps going to make sure everyone has one to lay under if need be

Back
Top Bottom