How Sick is This!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by coffeelady3, Jul 3, 2008.

1. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    I'm a die hard vegetarian (not a vegan, I have my hens for eggs), yet I love reading this thread. What's wrong with me? [​IMG]

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    LOL. It's the meat-eater inside of you drooling over the pictures of cooked homegrown chicken! You know you want to do some meat birds!

I also think it is a natural attraction to blood. I know that sounds strange, but I really think humans have a fascination for blood. Just look at all the old "sports" of the day.

-Kim

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I worked at a chicken farm as a teenager and didn't eat chicken again for about 14 years until I met my wife in England and had a poulet rouge chicken. I've been a conscience omnivore ever since and raise much of our own meat.

4. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Nothing. I read this thread because I find the real-world discussions of genetics, raising and the economics of meat brids really fascinating.

I'd wager that way more people lurk on this topic than you might think!!

~Phyllis

5. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    I don't miss eating meat, and have no desire to start up again. I guess it makes me feel better knowing that you guys are giving your animals a good life up until it's time to 'do the deed'. Kudos to you all!

6. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    I only butcher my chickens when they are 1) Hurt, or have deformities and are suffering. 2) Pretty darned old. 3) Very agressive

I believe when vegitarians say, but I love my meat, so I only kill my chickens when I must.

7. Dennis1979

Dennis1979 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I don't know you so I can't really say why this site interests you like it does. I can make a guess however, based on my own experience.

Personally, I have a fascination with being self-sufficient and producing most of my own food would be a giant step in that direction. As I have come to understand how bad the food supply system is in this country (its downright nasty) I have begun a quest for more control over what my family and I eat, among many other things I wish to better control. I have only recently started down this path (its hard to raise a lot of your own food when you live in a master planned community with deed restrictions out the wahzoo in the suburbs of one of America's largets cities).

So even though you don't eat meat, perhaps you enjoy seeing the freedom that the people on this site enjoy. The freedom that comes from being at least a little bit self-sufficient. Perhaps you enjoy watching a movement, if you will, develop before your eyes. Not a "movement" such as anything organized, but a movement of trends away from the non-nutritious, tasteless and sometimes deadly toxic food that comes from that neighborhood farm known as a grocery store. Not having to eat from the trough of the USDA, Tyson Foods, Cargill and ADM has to be an exhilarating feeling.

I don't know why you don't eat meat, nor do I want to know or need to know, but if the reasons have anything to do with hormones, antibiotics, pesticides, herbicides, fecal matter, e-coli, salmonella, and the horrible conditions under which our meat lived before it died, raising your own food without all that is a completely different thing.

I'm still an omnivore, but if it weren't for the knowledge that I can raise my own food, I might soon join you in the vegatarian realm. Since we do live in the city, we have started buying our meat from "natural" growers via a food co-op. That will have to do for now. I am also going to raise some laying hens in a coop in my backyard and see how long that lasts before the owner's association threatens to kill me or whatever. Meanwhile my wife and I are formulating plans for our "escape" to a more rural environment at which point we will be better able to "opt out" of the current system.

Dennis

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  8. aladatrot

aladatrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    LaPorte
    What is the difference between a vegan and a vegetarian? I'm confused.

Thanks!
    M, Carnivore - but to each his own [​IMG]

9. Dennis1979

Dennis1979 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    As I understand it, a vegan, in addition to not eating any animal products, wants nothing to do with any commercial use of animals so, for instance, no shoes made from leather, no leather furniture, no fur coats (obviously), no honey, no silk, no jello etc. Anything that has animal products in it.

10. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    Quote:you think its bad here try a third world country,for as many of millions of tons of food thats produced and eaten in this country I think we do pretty darn good

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by