How soon can I expect eggs?

big greg barker

Songster
11 Years
Oct 26, 2008
central maine
So, I went to my uncle's funeral today, and came home with two dozen layers. (long story) A couple are molting, all were a bit undernourished. They ate almost 3 pounds of pellets in about 10 minutes. The person I got them from couldn't afford to feed them, and didn't have the heart to eat them.
Anyway, there are 6 sexlinks, 6 brahmas 3 or 4 RIRs, 3 or 4 EEs a couple Wyandottes, I think, and 2 Brahma roos.These are breeds I wasn't planning on, but they were free, so I haven't really read much on them.
Once I get them on a 12 hour lighting schedule, starting tomorrow, and get some feed into them, about how long will it take them to start laying again? The whole bunch are 2 year olds. Should I give them a couple weeks? Three?
Which ones will be the most likely to start again, and which sould be destined to join me for dinner?
I am in Maine, so it is a bit cold here now.

You should (might) have fresh eggs in the morning. If they were laying before they should start no later than a week or so. Maybe a little longer if they haven't been fed properly. They should eat about 8 pounds of feed per day once they have bee fed properly for a couple of weeks.
Don't waste any feed, but give them all they can eat until they fill out. Plenty of fresh water, right now that is as impotant as the feed.

All the Brahmas look fairly fit. A little light is all. The SLs are all pretty healthy looking. The EEs all look a little ragged, but one of them is molting and one of the others looks like it is either finishing the molt or just starting. Bare butted. I didn't get a really long look at the EEs due to the circmstances of getting them. The RIRs are average looking. Most all of them have small red combs. I noticed a bit of brown color on one of the rooster's combs. I'm not sure if it a bit of frost bite or just a spot of chicken terd. They were all kind of dirty due to the condition of the coop they were in.
I got them into their new digs about 6:00 pm, and they sucked down almost 2 gallons of water by 9:30. We will see...........

Hi,

I'm so glad to hear you rescued those poor chickens! I think bringing them back to good health will make you feel just as good as getting eggs.

I'm sure you will get eggs eventually but, in some cases, it could take months due to them not being well taken care of and the short winter days.

Good luck with your new flock! Genie

HOORRAY FOR YOU!!!!!
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

What a wonderful thing that you did -- taking over these chickens that have clearly been neglected!!!! The amount of chow and water that they have consumed makes it clear that they were NOT being taken care of appropriately!!
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

I am sure that they will quickly reward you with eggs and lots of love!!!

You have clearly shown the true spirit of the Season!!
God Bless you and Merry Christmas!!

Cindy

Last edited:
Thank you all for your support. One more question. All the birds were up to roost last night at midnight when I went to check on them except the brahmas. I put my roosts at 3 feet off the floor of the coop. Is this too high for these guys?

Update. All these chix are doing much better, except one that died the second night. I think it had a respiratory problem. Had some butt pecking because they were a bit crowded and I didn't have the runs completed, so they had to stay inside for about 6 days. Had to separate an EE so it wouldn't be killed. After I got the runs done,and they could get outside, I put her in with the Brahmas, and they are all doing just ducky. The only problem I seem to be having now is that the roosters are REALLY doing what roosters are supposed to do. I don't think their feet have even touched the coop floor in 5 days.... It's getting kind of ridiculous.
Still no eggs, but they are in and out of the nest boxes, and eating well. I figure it will probably take a couple more weeks for them to acclimate.
I have a couple that I can't quite identify yet. They are rust colored, or light brown, and their flight feathers and tail feathers are darker brown. Small to medium single combs. Any ideas? I cant post pix due to dial up and a crappy computer. I was wondering if they could be red sexlinks.

Neglected laying hens may eat their eggs. Check closely that there are no signs that they have laid eggs before you say they are not laying.
All I am saying is that egg eating could be the real problem.

Back
Top Bottom