How soon can I?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CrowinKing, Nov 29, 2008.

1. CrowinKing

CrowinKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    How soon can I move my 7 wk old Marans outside? I'm planning on hanging a heat bulb for them I was just wondering cause I usually hatch in the spring!

2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    You will probably get alot of different answers to this. I think it would depend on the temps where you live. I moved my 5 week old chicks out on Thursday. They are in a coop with a heatlight. I had stopped putting a heatlamp on them in the house for almost a week to make sure they were use to the lower temp. then on wed. I took the out in the morning and brought them back in at night. On Thur. my husband put them outside and said they were fine to leave them alone. They have been fine, I check on them often and they seem very happy.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Outside, outside, or sheltered? It makes a difference especially at this time of year.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd make certain that they are enclosed in a run.

5. CrowinKing

CrowinKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Ya I have a small coop in my barn that I use for my younger birds! The temps here have been varying from 30 to 40 in the day and 15 to 20 at night thanks for the replies.

6. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    My 7 week old Ameraucanas have been outside for 3 weeks now and they're very happy out there. Temperatures range from slightly above freezing during the day to slightly below at night. I hung a 250 watt heat lamp in the insulated coop and gradually raised it every few days. (I used a chain plus two clips for extra security.) They spend their days out in the run and as they've gotten acclimated to the temperature they've pretty much stopped going back into the coop to warm up.

I also put my 3 week olds out there a couple of days ago. I partitioned off a section of the coop for them with wire, and they have the lamp for warmth. (I won't let them out into the run until they're bigger and more feathered.) The older chicks can still get to the warmth of the lamp because it's just on the other side of the wire barrier, but they often don't bother any more.

I have a digital thermometer with a long wire probe so when I'm standing in the feed room (which is where my adult birds sleep these days) I can see what temperature it is under the lamp in the coop. I also pay close attention to the behaviour of the babies to make sure they're comfortable. They do seem to toughen up pretty fast.

7. chandasue

chandasue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    MN
    Mine are almost 4 weeks old and I'm putting them out this week. They've out grown their brooder so there's no where else for them to go. I have an 8 x 10 insulated coop with 2 heat lamps and heated waterer. I think they'll be fine... [​IMG] I'm hoping they'll huddle and keep each other warm if it gets too cold for them. (There's 35 chicks.)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  8. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I'm in NC and temps are about like yours. I bit the bullet and put them out with a 250 degree heat lamp. I have the coop lined with extra cardboard to make sure there are no drafts. Also I have about 8 inches of pine shavings down so if they get cool they can bury up in them some. this is their first night and I don't know who is more apprehensive, me the chicks or my two older hens that refused to go in the coop while they could hear the chicks sounds.
    They are in the same structure just seperated by a wall. Jean

9. kim.home

kim.home Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2008
    Glad to see all the replies, I have 4 week olds and am wanting them out of the garage and out in their coop. I live in SW Florida so I'm thinking it's OK for me if y'all cold weather folks are doing it.[​IMG]

10. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Miss Prissy told me to brood them for 6 - 8 weeks, even here in Hawaii where the nights never get below 60. Iʻm not too sure. We had a power outage when they were two weeks old and they didnʻt begin to huddle until the sun started setting. I suggest you watch how fast they are feathering out and let that be your guide.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by