how soon can you tell if it's a roo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mendozer, Mar 9, 2011.

1. mendozer

mendozer Songster

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    My RIR chick has bumps on the top of its nose. it's only a week old, but I'm fearing its a rooster. We got them from the feed store as pullets. Also, it does NOT like to be grabbed. The buff orpington and australorp don't mind it. the gold sex link puts up a small fight, but this RIR will run, flap, shake, chirp, whatever not to be held. I try to persist so that it becomes used to it, but i don't know.

how soon can you tell?

2. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Songster

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    That's too early to tell. I usually can tell by 5 weeks. Here is an article that was posted about sexing chicks
    According to UC Davis Veterinary Care Program.
    2. Physical Characteristics (4-6 weeks of age)
    a. Comb – The cockerels comb is medium size and pinkish, the pullets is small and yellowish.
    b. Legs – The cockerel’s legs are sturdy and long, the pullets are finer and shorter.
    c. Tail – The cockerel’s tail is stumpy and curved, the pullets is longer and straight.
    d. Back – The cockerel has a thin line of stub feathers down the center of his back, the pullet has more advanced feathering along the center of her back.
    e. Side of neck, flank and crop – The feathering in the cockerel in these areas is poorly advanced, the pullets feathering in these areas is well advanced.
    f. Wing bows – In the cockerel the wing bows are bare, in pullets the wing bows are covered with small feathers.

3. mendozer

mendozer Songster

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    nice, thanks. i'll save this and check in 4 weeks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: