how soon can you tell sex

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jjakaus, Jun 26, 2011.

1. jjakaus

jjakaus Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    wyandotte, mi
    I have 4 new chicks, although 3 of them are almost 2 weeks old. How soon can I tell the difference? I really dont want any roosters, but I hate to get too attached! REALLY new at this!!

Thanks
    Janice

2. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    I noticed that the hens will grow tail feathers before the males do. check their tails. At 2 weeks it's the easiest to tell.

3. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    My rooster started growing his waddle sooner, and his legs were alot bigger. (thicker)

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Depends on the breed. Some you can tell right away, while others keep you guessing for a long time.

5. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    Quote:x2
    I've guessed based on a lot of things, but it really varies by breed. I'd research the tell-tale signs for your specific birds.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    The males will start to develop their combs and wattles before the females. You may be able to tell when they are a month old but as times goes on it will be more evident. By two months you will know pretty well. Here are some pictures of some chicks that are just over 6 weeks.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Quote:Ditto! It's especially difficult if you only have one bird of a breed (nothing to compare against) or if you have mixed lineage chicks like Easter Eggers since their looks are so variable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by