How soon should baby quail poop?

KellyCluck

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
Oregon
Only two out of the twelve eggs I incubated hatched, but I'm pleased to have gotten any, since my thermometer was faulty and they were incubated at 89 degrees for the first three days. The eggs were also delayed in the mail (misrouted to Illinois instead of Oregon), so I received them nine days after they were mailed. Next time should go much more smoothly!

Anyway, I have these two cute little babies in a Rubbermaid tub with paper lining the bottom. They are eating and drinking just fine (especially drinking), but the paper is still clean. One is around 9 1/2 hours old and the other is about four hours old. Their bottoms look fine. How long before I worry about no poop?

I know after I've done this a few times I'll look back at all my questions and laugh at myself. ;)

They should start pooping within 12hours of eating for the first time. I promise you'll have more poop than you can handle

Don't be in a hurry to have them poop lol. Soon enough you'll want them to slow down. My 50 birds are 4 weeks old and I could have filled a bathtub with poo by now.

I have had them to poop when they kick out of the egg, but dont worry they'll go.

Please tell me you have not shut down the incubator, I'm still expecting you to hatch more. with the early cool temps this hatch could be drawn out over a few days.

No, I haven't shut it down. I did float them all, and none wiggled. I do want to give anyone who was just asleep a chance.

I was worried about the poop because I once had a duckling (hatched by its mother) who wasn't doing well until we soaked a piece of shell off its bottom. ;)

Um . . . poop has happened. No longer worried. :D

Thanks. :) How long should I wait? There's actually a slight rotten-egg odor in the incubator . . . :p

The two that hatched are doing great, though. I hope it's two hens, or a rooster and a hen. Would make things easier.

Still wishing for your quails to poop?
lol.png

I just hatched my first batch a couple weeks ago so I'm no expert, but here's what I found out: I tried floating the eggs at day 12 and 14 and saw no "wiggling" at all. Yet most of them hatched, so I wouldn't worry if they don't wiggle. I did learn to candle finally and able to see the developing air sack. It was tricky, but with a bright flashlight, in a dark room and with the egg in a certain position and your eyes looking at the right angle, you'll be able to see the air sack. I could not see the vein developing the first few days though. So for the next batch I will just leave it there for 8-10 days and then start candeling.

Just sharing what I learned. This is so addictive!

hard to say, but if I could ident the source of the rotten smell, this one should be removed. I'd probably wait 21-22 days but its up to you.

Back
Top Bottom