How steep can ducks climb?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cklass90, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Cklass90

Cklass90 Chirping

Mar 16, 2018
    So I just got chicks and ducklings. I know it will be a while before they're big enough to be outside and handle the cold etc but I'm asking in advance....
    Due to configuration I have to build a run that goes up over the door to my lawn mower she'd and down the other side into the big run. I know it'll need a solid bottom and rungs across for grip and obviously wire on the other 3 sides. I'm quite confident that the chickens can do it as apparently they climb. But....can ducks do it? How steep can they climb?

2. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    I wouldn’t advise it. You would have to make a looooong ramp in order for them to be able to climb. My ducks DO NOT like to climb. But I have large breeds too like Pekins and Cayugas.

sylviethecochin likes this.
  3. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    x2. I have pekins and blue Swedish. They hate to climb. I have to boost them up a 14-inch ramp to get them to go in at night in the wintertime. My muscovies are alright with it, but they're not exactly standard examples of ducks.

CayugaJana likes this.
  4. GldnValleyHens

GldnValleyHens Crowing

Apr 21, 2017
    Illinois
    My call ducks climb a pretty steep ramp, but they are lightweight. What breed of duck do you have?

5. J.R.

J.R. Chirping

Jul 15, 2017
    Ohio
    I’d maybe try to find an alternative if it’s possible. Ducks are not the most graceful of creatures- especially the larger breeds. My Rouens struggle with anything higher than about 4-5 inches but then again, they have managed to stay...umm “big boned” despite the long winter!

6. Cklass90

Cklass90 Chirping

Mar 16, 2018
    Hmm maybe I can devise some kind of run that could open for the lawnmower to come out and go through and then be closed again with temporary gates so they didn't all escape while we did that. I have buff orpingtons

7. J.R.

J.R. Chirping

Jul 15, 2017
    Ohio
    Do you know what breed your ducks are? I think they’d be the problem. As you said, the chickens should be fine with the height. Cleaning the elevated run might be a chore as both birds tend to use the bathroom whenever and wherever the urge hits them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: