How to add a PC fan to still air LG

Lroach711

Songster
9 Years
Mar 17, 2010
Pickens, SC
I have an older model LG still air incubator w/ turner. It was an incubator my husband's Papa bought at the flea market. I've seen stuff on here about adding a PC fan to them. Does this improve hatches and how exactly do you add it? I'm by no means good with wiring, etc. Is it easy to do? Thanks in advance for any advice/info!

I added a fan to my LG and I haven't had any temperature spikes that the LGs are known for. I used an 80mm computer cooling fan and I had to buy a 12v adapter for $23, we had 15 adapters that were all 9v or less. The computer fans need 12v power in order to spin fast enough to move the air enough.

Unless you have an 80mm computer cooling fan and a 12v wall adapter laying around, you are probably better off buying the fan kit made for the LGs.

Just PM me if you need help rigging up a fan.

We happened to have both here so mine didnt cost anything. I had DH mount it with some screws on each corner on the top of the unit under the viewing window. It seems to be working well but is pretty noisy. We are planning on getting another fan in there after this hatch. Terri O

I recently installed a computer fan in my old LG...It was 12 volt and I had a matching adapter. During its test run it over heated and damaged the thermostat. Someone later informed me that the fan was too high in air volume causing the heating element to stay on full time. After learning that expensive lesson, I installed a new thermostat and the correct fan made by LG. It is currently filled and in operation. So far no spikes in temperature.

I went to get a fan kit for our Little Giant still air, but the place I got my bator never got the fans so I went to Radio Shack and got a PC fan and I hope this one is not too big. Its a 115VAC, is that too much?? I really hope this works, but I won't know till tomorrow.

Mommysongbird

Cordless telephones are usually all 12 volt. Just cut the end off that goes into the phone and Walla.
Course you have to cut the end off the fan too and wire them.
Lots of printers are too.
Course you could tear out the big power supply on an old puter!!
Check out Craigslist for free stuff.
Phones are the simpliest.
smile.png

Happy hunting,
Barb

Back
Top Bottom