How to be a good BYC citizen

Pics
I know someone already said this but sending a newbie a pm is very helpful. When I was new someone sent me a pm and I was like
celebrate.gif

Just saying, its helpful and makes you feel wonderful!!
smile.png

Hello! Cheap Chuck here. I am new to the Backyard Chickens forum. I hope I don't ruffle too many feathers with my warped sense of humor. Two years ago I became involved with raising chickens for eggs. Mostly for a means of self sufficiency and as a curb for boredom in my forced retirement. I have had my good days and not so good days. As it has turned out I am now the proud possessor of a bunch of pets.

I started out with 25 two week old chicks. I asked for bard rock but got a mixture two yellow chickens and the rest were black. As a newbe I tried in vain to identify them male or female. As it has turned out I got a mixture of bard rock and I don't know what the other black/brown birds are. But, they are all female. The first six months took their toll on my flock. Just plain dieing for ?? reason but the biggest problem has been my neighbors dogs. My chickens are secured in a Hen High Rise. I made this out of warehouse pallet racking covered with plywood. The hens roost in the upper portion of this two story high rise apartment. My feeds and other stuff is located on the lower level first floor. These girls are secured at night inside this with plywood doors with screened vents. I have a "chicken tractor" made from PVC and chicken wire that I use for a "day room'. This keeps them secure from my neighbors dogs while they sorta "free range" About an hourn and one half from sunset I let them run free on my property while I guard them from predators like they were chain gang prisoners.

My pets are very happy and act like pets (spoiled ones at that). I enjoy messing with them as much as I enjoy eating their eggs. I now have 1 "Yellow Bird", 3 Bard Rocks, and 6 I don't know whats. They all lay good and some very large and very dark chocolate colored eggs.

Today is one of those down days. I had one of my pets die on me while in my hands. She was normal this morning. nothing unusual, but this evening she was still in her nesting box. I picked her up and petted her, but she felt hotter than normal, her comb was wilted looking and had turned darkish/ blackish in spots. She then started to drool that soon turned into a foul smelling vomit. She went into convulsions and died. All within a matter of 2 or 3 minuets. She will be missed

I never knew playing farmer could be so rewarding.and tear jerking for an old battle hardened man

Hello! Cheap Chuck here. I am new to the Backyard Chickens forum. I hope I don't ruffle too many feathers with my warped sense of humor. Two years ago I became involved with raising chickens for eggs. Mostly for a means of self sufficiency and as a curb for boredom in my forced retirement. I have had my good days and not so good days. As it has turned out I am now the proud possessor of a bunch of pets.

I started out with 25 two week old chicks. I asked for bard rock but got a mixture two yellow chickens and the rest were black. As a newbe I tried in vain to identify them male or female. As it has turned out I got a mixture of bard rock and I don't know what the other black/brown birds are. But, they are all female. The first six months took their toll on my flock. Just plain dieing for ?? reason but the biggest problem has been my neighbors dogs. My chickens are secured in a Hen High Rise. I made this out of warehouse pallet racking covered with plywood. The hens roost in the upper portion of this two story high rise apartment. My feeds and other stuff is located on the lower level first floor. These girls are secured at night inside this with plywood doors with screened vents. I have a "chicken tractor" made from PVC and chicken wire that I use for a "day room'. This keeps them secure from my neighbors dogs while they sorta "free range" About an hourn and one half from sunset I let them run free on my property while I guard them from predators like they were chain gang prisoners.

My pets are very happy and act like pets (spoiled ones at that). I enjoy messing with them as much as I enjoy eating their eggs. I now have 1 "Yellow Bird", 3 Bard Rocks, and 6 I don't know whats. They all lay good and some very large and very dark chocolate colored eggs.

Today is one of those down days. I had one of my pets die on me while in my hands. She was normal this morning. nothing unusual, but this evening she was still in her nesting box. I picked her up and petted her, but she felt hotter than normal, her comb was wilted looking and had turned darkish/ blackish in spots. She then started to drool that soon turned into a foul smelling vomit. She went into convulsions and died. All within a matter of 2 or 3 minuets. She will be missed

I never knew playing farmer could be so rewarding.and tear jerking for an old battle hardened man
Welcome to BYC, so sorry to hear about your losses
hugs.gif
it could be any number of things that happened to your hens but there are TONS of people on here that would love to help you sort out any problems

if you would like to get a warm BYC welcome write something up and post on the New Member Introductions
to learn more about EVERYTHING Chicken (and not) try out the https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
you may even want to do a search for your state in the Where am I? Where are you!

-Liz

I'm sorry, but I am new to BYC and I have a question to ask, but no idea how to start a thread on the forum page. Can anyone assist? I apologize if I shouldn't have asked here, but I'm at my wits end.

How to be a good BYC citizen:

1. Stop in on the new member introduction page each day and say hi to a few new people. Everyone was new once, and do you remember how many times you checked that first post?!

2. Search for unanswered posts every once in awhile, and see if you can add your expertise to a question asked by someone. If you can't add expertise, see if you can give support.

3. Leave "hot" or topics that will likely turn ugly or get "locked" without your name/post. Just ignore them. You know when you see them, and you know when they'll likely get locked up.

4. Help a newbie do something that you already know: perhaps help them to post a picture, share info about Golden Feather, invite them to the chat room, tell them about auction threads, teach them to SEARCH the threads, etc., etc.

5. Encourage someone who is down either about their birds/animals or life in general. It's amazing how we can help someone else with just a little encouragement. Cheer when they get their new chickies even though you've seen that same post 100 times, and say "woot" when they manage to hatch for the first time.

6. Make a BYC page for yourself. Your pictures and ideas will likely help some lurker who is too shy to post or ask, but is reading, reading, reading for info.

7. Remember, chickens aren't always nice to each other but humans should be. Be kind to mean people because they often need it the most. There is no pecking order in homo-sapiens despite what some think.

8. (go on.... keep adding to the list.....)
Still trying to figure this stuff out, how do you get to the new member page?

Back
Top Bottom