How to bond with my chicks?

murphynhazel12

Songster
Jul 4, 2020
Hi, I'm new here and i just got 6 silkie chicks. They are going to be pets, and I want them to at least tolerate me. They run away from me all the time, and will not take treats from my hand. They don't really seem to be interested in treats at all. They are 6ish weeks old. Thanks!

Six weeks is a tough age to start taming them, where do you keep them? Do they sleep in one spot at night? If possible go in ad quietly sit with them right at dusk as they settle in to sleep. They seem to be most open to being held at that time.

Don't act like a predator! That means don't grab them from above the way a hawk would, try to pick them up by sliding your fingers underneath them whenever possible. Pick up one or better yet two and hold them in one hand cupped to your chest so they feel snug and protected.

Use food. A dish of scrambled egg will "wow" them so offer them a dish and keep your hand nearby so they associate your hand with food, then start offering them food from your hand. also feed them as you hold them.

I have chicks about the same age right now with a similar situation. they are very skittish since they were raised by a hen and not from the incubator as we usually do.
Creating a bond with your chicks is gradual, especially as they age. You can try experimenting with different treats to find what they like, then sit nearby while they eat. Once they become more comfortable with your presence, try hand feeding and letting them come to you slowly. You want your chicks to associate you with positive things, and less as a scary intruder. My biggest tip is be patient, a good bond will form with time. Best of luck! 😊

Six weeks is a tough age to start taming them, where do you keep them? Do they sleep in one spot at night? If possible go in ad quietly sit with them right at dusk as they settle in to sleep. They seem to be most open to being held at that time.

Don't act like a predator! That means don't grab them from above the way a hawk would, try to pick them up by sliding your fingers underneath them whenever possible. Pick up one or better yet two and hold them in one hand cupped to your chest so they feel snug and protected.

Use food. A dish of scrambled egg will "wow" them so offer them a dish and keep your hand nearby so they associate your hand with food, then start offering them food from your hand. also feed them as you hold them.
I keep them outside in a little run, but they go into a coop at night. I can try that, but i can't go into the coop so it will be hard. When I pick them up, they try ( and are sometimes successful) to fly away, and don't really settle down. I will try giving them scrambled egg, hopefully they like it! Thanks for the advice, i appreciate it.

If you can get into the run, just sit and chill with them. Don't reach or grab for them. They will come closer. You could try fresh grass clippings or a handful of grass and have the pile on the side you, you could slowly use your fingers to move the grass around, they will come closer.

I’m not going to be much help here. My Dominique chicks are ridiculously tame. They run up to me when I come into the run and WANT me to pick them up. But I’ve had them since they were 1 day old and I set the brooder up so I would never come to them from above. However they will scatter if I’m standing and make a sudden movement, or if I’m holding a large SCARY thing like a bucket LOL. I would advise you to sit in the run in a beach chair (very close to the ground) and let them get used to you. And always move very slowly when you’re around them.

I keep them outside in a little run, but they go into a coop at night. I can try that, but i can't go into the coop so it will be hard. When I pick them up, they try ( and are sometimes successful) to fly away, and don't really settle down. I will try giving them scrambled egg, hopefully they like it! Thanks for the advice, i appreciate it.

On the upside they usually calm down once the hens start laying. Though for future reference taming them when they are very little (earlier the better) works best.

On the upside they usually calm down once the hens start laying. Though for future reference taming them when they are very little (earlier the better) works best.
Ok, thanks! I tried the scrambled eggs, and they were too scared of the plate to eat it. One of them did eat it from my hand though. We got them when they were six weeks.

If you can get into the run, just sit and chill with them. Don't reach or grab for them. They will come closer. You could try fresh grass clippings or a handful of grass and have the pile on the side you, you could slowly use your fingers to move the grass around, they will come closer.
I have been doing that for a couple days now. I think it is working. I will try that with the grass.

Back
Top Bottom