How to Catch the Egg Eater(s)

dawny2u2

Songster
10 Years
Sep 7, 2009
Winston, MT
Okay, I have HAD it! Coming home to 4 -6 eggs from 19 previously productive hens, finding gooey yolk over the few eggs remaining is getting old. I am home two days and those days I get more eggs, so now I have to catch them. Caught one with eggshell on her beak, shes gone. But there must be others. I am going out every half hour or so, haven't caught anyone else in the act in two weeks, but as I said, the eggs are being eaten.
Dye on a "planted-bait" egg? Is bluekote an idea? What can I put on there that won't hurt them, but will show up on the perp. How do you set a trap door? A special nest? I have to do something before I go ballastic. They don't care, they just want more, more MORE food!

I would look for eggy beaks, or debris stuck on their beaks, but going out every half hour is a sure way to find your culprit! I had an egg eater and thought it was more than as well, but it turned out to be only 1. So you may have solved your problem already. Hopefully
smile.png
Are you sure that you removed all of the gooey out of the nest boxes??

Well I caught 6 of them. I think they have to go. Its not a good day here. All the others were out free ranging, and these ones were all gobbling up an egg. It was Awful.
Not the ones I suspected either. Of course, they probably are in on it too, just weren't around. Shoot!!!

Other people with this problem have used wooden or ceramic egg decoys. Don't know if it works but is worth a try.

Yeah, that hurts. I had one that was opening them and a couple of others that would help her eat them. When I got rid of the one that was doing the openng, the problem went away. The problem is that it can be taught from one to another, so if it has been going on for a while, several may have learned how to do it. If I caught a bunch eating an egg like that, they would all be history.

I don't have a good way of catching them. I was out there every half hour until I saw the one that was doing it. She was not shy about it at all. I've heard of rolling an egg across the floor to see which one goes after it, but I'm not convinced that works. If you see her open it, of course you have her, but I've had some that would go play with the egg but not eat it. Maybe try that and see if one opens it.

Quote:
Are you sure that all 6 are breaking the eggs? Because you may only have 1 or 2 that are actually breaking the eggs-the others may just be joining in on the feeding frenzy.

I think you may be right about all six of them, joining in. Oooops, I may have been caught up in the frenzy myself.
smile.png
But I do know who took the first bite, and she will be history. I will give the others a chance, its just been depressing. 20 chickens eat alot, and I would like eggs in return. I do all the recommended oystershell, layer feed, scratch, veggie scraps, meat scraps, cooked oatmeal, sprouted mung beans, they free range when I am home, and their outside run is 30 x 50 when they cant free range - these chickens are not neglected. But I am having another problem with feather picking, and someone suggested it may be diet, so I am going to get a higher protein feed for a couple weeks. Maybe its related, but the ringleader in the egg eating is not having any feather problems. I dunno.......

Back
Top Bottom