How to Change Laws & Ordinances (Pointe-Claire, Qc, Canada)

Hi,

Any updates on this? I'm a Pte. Claire resident also, and would love to keep a couple of chickens. It's been legal in Kingston, Ont. for some time now. (No roosters, though.)

I'd be happy to add my voice to the list. Let me know where to sign up!

I have been in contact with [email protected] from the city and she has mentioned that many people are interested. She has asked that anyone interested in urban chickens be in contact with her.

Hi,

I would like to work to get the bi-laws changed in my municipality to allow raising of chickens similar to how other major metropolitan areas have begun to allow (Pointe-Claire is a suburb on the Island of Montreal Quebec).

I have a very cooperative City councilor who has already put forth to the town council my proposal for a community garden however I fear changing the bi-laws to allow chickens will meet a lot more resistance even though I have many fellow residents that is also interested in raising chickens and other major Canadian cities have begun to allow it like Vancouver and Victoria.

Currently the bi-law states :
Chapter 6
PROVISIONS GOVERNING ANCILLARY BUILDINGS
6.10 Keeping of animals
Other than for pet shops, any building or facility designed to keep animals other than domestic animals is prohibited within the limits of the City of Pointe-Claire.

As well there is another bi-law that states that no livestock are allowed to be kept.

I would really appreciate some help on how to start the process to change the bi-laws, (other cities that have made the change and their current bi-laws, the various pro's and con's). I will formulate them into a written proposal that I will send to my city councilor and if all goes well I will gladly re-post it to this site.

Thanks everyone.

Steven.
Hello all you chicken lovers, Great news "6.10 Keeping of animals, stables and hives Other than for pet shops, any building or facility designed to keep animals other than domestic animals, is prohibited within the limits of the City of Pointe-Claire.'' This is the only by-law pertaining to keeping non domesticated animals and it is from planning which does not allow you to build a stable like structure in your garden. Chickens are also kept as pets like rabbits and ferrets and are very much domesticated. Pointe Claire are currently discussing writing new by-laws to allow for urban chickens. Councillor Kelly Thorstad-Cullen is the president of the newly formed environmental committee her e-mail is [email protected]. If you are a citizen of Pointe Claire you can address your questions in the next town council meeting by submitting it in writing as an attachment to the municipality [email protected] before Tuesday April 6th before noon. All you chicken lovers let's help create new by-laws that recognise the importance and benefits of raising urban chickens .
Barbara Cheetham

Hi,

I am also a Pointe-Claire resident and I am very interested in permaculture design and the possibility of raising chickens on my property. I would be happy to join you on this and I have a few connections that may be useful. Strength in numbers!
City of Pointe Claire have created an Environmental Committee led by a newly appointed President councilor Kelly Thorstad-Cullen please get in contact with her direct
e-mail [email protected] . The City are in the process of creating new by-laws which allows for raising urban chickens. If you are a Pointe Claire citizen you can address your questions or points of view in favor of raising chickens in Pointe Claire at the next Municipality Council meeting no later than at noon on Tuesday 6th 2021 through an attachment sent to [email protected] Please spread the word ! Thanks

I have been in contact with [email protected] from the city and she has mentioned that many people are interested. She has asked that anyone interested in urban chickens be in contact with her.
Hi annick1 here's an update
City of Pointe Claire have created an Environmental Committee led by a newly appointed President councilor Kelly Thorstad-Cullen please get in contact with her direct
e-mail [email protected] . The City are in the process of creating new by-laws which allows for raising urban chickens. If you are a Pointe Claire citizen you can address your questions or points of view in favor of raising chickens in Pointe Claire at the next Municipality Council meeting no later than at noon on Tuesday 6th 2021 through an attachment sent to [email protected] Please spread the word ! Thanks

Hi,

Any updates on this? I'm a Pte. Claire resident also, and would love to keep a couple of chickens. It's been legal in Kingston, Ont. for some time now. (No roosters, though.)

I'd be happy to add my voice to the list. Let me know where to sign up!
Hi PCResident City of Pointe Claire have created an Environmental Committee led by a newly appointed President councilor Kelly Thorstad-Cullen please get in contact with her direct

Other then starting a petition I have NO CLUE how to help you, im so sorry!
sad.png

But the community garden idea is great for people who don't have the land, and wouldn't it be great to have the chickens there at the garden to help with fertilizer!! have a movable coop/movable fencing and then people have a set up of who grows when, and the birds are moved around that schedule so each space gets fertilized.
Or you could just take the poo out of the house, either way I think you're starting a great movement, which I hope turns out in you and others being able to keep chickens.

Hi!
I recently moved to Pointe-Claire and I would love to have chickens in my backyard!
How is the project going? have you approached your city councellor about it?
Andréanne

Back
Top Bottom