How to clean eggs for sell

Thank you for your insight! I do think washing with water would be ok and that's a really good point with the bleach solution, I hadn't thought of that. There's not a requirement on date (since we have less than 249 hens), which I thought there would be. But I can't reuse cartons unless we obliterate any of the original markings (brand, grade, date, etc.) That is my next problem...I don't want the cartons looking bad but buying new empty cartoons for 50 cents each seems silly to me... I might have to get creative! :)
I save my metal #10 cans from work to give to my egg supplier. I wash them out and he uses them for feed scoops or whatever. . and layers eggs in between paper towels and leaves me a can of eggs on my front porch :lol:

wash eggs ... at a slightly warmer temp than the egg itself. It is said that water colder than the item you are washing can create a vacuum effect and actually draw bacteria into the egg.
Exactly...then they should be air/towel dried and refrigerated asap, don't let your cartons get wet/damp.

I don't want the cartons looking bad but buying new empty cartoons for 50 cents each seems silly to me... I might have to get creative!
Buy some nice cartons, add the carton cost on the price of eggs, offer discount if clean cartons are returned in good shape.

Could even have your repeat customers put their names on their cartons so they get the same cartons back.

My customers, and even my "not customers" recycle cartons for me. I simply burn the dirty cartons, and recycle the others. While this may not be the preferred method, this is what works for me, and what satisfies my customers. I do not sell enough eggs that regulations are an issue for me. And I believe the standard is different if you sell from your home/yard/driveway than if you take them to a farmer's market or other public venue.

I wash my eggs under warm running water with a fingernail brush.
In warm weather, I wash when I collect them.
If it's colder than 50s Fahrenheit, I let them warm up to room temperature before washing.
I let them air dry in an egg collection basket that is only used for drying. I hang it on a hook over my sink.
I use a small pail to collect eggs.
I put eggs in carton when dry and refrigerate. I date carton when full. I have a shelf in the fridge just for eggs, and line them up right to left, stacked 2 high.
I bought egg cartons online at 32¢ each. I give a 25¢ discount for a clean carton return. GC

Last edited:
Hadn't really thought about making sure they were dry before putting them in the fridge. Makes sense. .good advice!

I wash my eggs under warm running water with a fingernail brush.
In warm weather, I wash when I collect them.
If it's colder than 50s Fahrenheit, I let them warm up to room temperature before washing.
I let them air dry in an egg collection basket that is only used for drying. I hang it on a hook over my sink.
I use a small pail to collect eggs.
I put eggs in carton when dry and refrigerate. I date carton when full. I have a shelf in the fridge just for eggs, and line them up right to left, stacked 2 high.
I bought egg cartons online at 32¢ each. I give a 25¢ discount for a clean carton return. GC
I use thd same exact method to clean my eggs, only difference ins i oil my eggs instead of refrigerating them it works well

Back
Top Bottom