How to Clean Guinea fowl (KEETS)

gunieanoob1

In the Brooder
May 5, 2018
I recently got some guinea (keets) , when I had bought them I noticed on their legs excessive amount of their hard poop on their bottom of the legs , I didn't pull it or anything , I would like to know how I would clean(safely) their tiny legs from the hard poop they have stuck. Any help is appreciated thank you .

*Other question regarding their diet the individual that had them as a couple days old were serving them 16-18 protein but I went to tractor supply and got chick feed 24 percent is that enough for them ? (The keets are eating it )

I recently got some guinea (keets) , when I had bought them I noticed on their legs excessive amount of their hard poop on their bottom of the legs , I didn't pull it or anything , I would like to know how I would clean(safely) their tiny legs from the hard poop they have stuck. Any help is appreciated thank you .

*Other question regarding their diet the individual that had them as a couple days old were serving them 16-18 protein but I went to tractor supply and got chick feed 24 percent is that enough for them ? (The keets are eating it )
Chicks do a lot better about keeping their feet clean than do keets. I just use my fingernails to gently break the dried matter off of their feet and toes. You can also use a wet rag or paper towel to moisten it so that it comes off easier. It helps to get some of the top scraped off so that the water can be more easily absorbed.

Read Raising Guinea Fowl 101 and pay particular attention to posts made by @PeepsCA

Tractor Supply does not sell proper feed for guinea keets or turkey poults.

Guinea keets should be fed a quality high protein starter that also contains the higher amounts of lysine, methionine and niacin. I feed my keets a 28% protein turkey or gamebird starter. They can survive on lower quality feeds but it often will stunt them for life and prevent the proper development of internal organs and bones.

Keets have a very high metabolism, it's go as fast as they can until they just drop.

You can help them by feeding them hard boiled eggs that have been crumbled. It will not boost the protein content because eggs are only approximately 12% protein but it is the essential proteins.

Good luck.

Thank you for the info , does the water have to be medicated in some way ? or just regular water ? difference between medicated and non medicated food ?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-lis..._sims_desel?ie=UTF8&unselectedSims=B072KW9WL7
It does not hurt to add a vitamin supplement like Nutri-Drench to the water. I just give my keets plain water.

Usually "medicated" feed contains amprolium which is used to combat coccidiosis. If you feel the need to medicate for coccidiosis and do not have medicated feed, you can add Corid to the water.

The kind of turkey or gamebird starter that is available to me is not medicated.

30% protein starter feed will be fine.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom