How to coax the broody moms to take chicks into the coop at night?????

LilBizzy

Chicken Storyteller
11 Years
May 20, 2008
Maryland
We have 3 broody mammas with 6 chicks that are now 6 days old. The moms have been bringing the babies outside for the past 3 days ( which really surprised me). The babies can get into the coop- there is a ramp which they choose not to use. They hop up the 4x4, so it is not an issue of them being unable to get back in.
The moms lay on the ground next to the ramp, and the babies huddle under them. The past 2 nights, we have tried to get them all into the coop, but it's a crazy task that upsets them all. I put one mom in the coop, she runs out to protect the babies. I put babies into the coop, but by the time I grab a mom to put her in with them, the babies are back out. Meanwhile, the other chicks are running and scraming in all directions, and the other mothers are running in circles calling loudly to the babies. Last night, my husband helped me-he did NOT live up to his BYC name BirdHerder.But then again, as he tried to help, the rooster was attacking him from behind LOL

Is there a less stressful way to get them into the coop at night? I really don't want to have the chicks associate me with stress, and I don't want the moms to hate me. Is there an easier way to do this?

Perhaps coaxing the hens in with treats and let the babies follow? When I raised my ducklings, food motivation was the key. I trained them that if I had my "dish" in hand and tapped on it lightly, that meant there was treats to be had. Worked like a charm.

Now, I don't have my chicks yet, but I am planning the same routine with them.

Back
Top Bottom