How to collect poo for fertilizer?

j'schicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 18, 2010
Sonoma
Is there an ideal bedding to use if I want to collect the chick's poo for fertilizer? How do you go about collecting it? Thanks!

I use deep litter method in the coop, with a droppings board beneath the roost. I just scrape the droppings board with a wide paint scraper/drywall knife every few days and place it into a 5 gallon bucket, which is then emptied into the compost bin. Twice a year the bedding in the deep litter area is taken out and disposed of. It can be composted, but the last time it was spread out in the run.

I compost my chicken poo along with my cow manure pile and rabbit poo (all mixed with hay or wood chips). I wonder if that is going to be a bad mix for the garden? We use a combined method of collecting our poo but mostly we shovel out our coop once a week or so in the warmer months and are now starting to deep bed for Fall and Winter.

I use the Deep litter method in my Coop, no dropping board---don't see why anyone would use a dropping board. I only need to clean out the deep litter/poo compost in the spring when I want it for the garden. I then add lawnmower clippings, pine cones, needles, etc all summer long to build it back up. If I didn't clean it out in the spring, it would probably last a couple years or more since I occasionally turn it over with a spading fork or toss in scratch to have the chickens do it for me. It rarely mats up unless I have too many chickens in the coop, then you have to fork it up more often.The mulch gradually shrinks down over time.

Back
Top Bottom