How to convince my mom to let me get ducks

My personal tidbit (from a young twenty year old who moved out when she was eighteen)-Plans change! Oh, how I thought I had everything figured out, Haha, those were good times! I never planned for my parents to get divorced and not be able to financially support me, I didn’t plan fall in love and to get married so young, I didn’t even conceive to possibilty of moving to another state (where property is much, much more expensive), I didn’t plan to get demoted at my job and frantically have to search for a new one, I never considered that I would be eating fish and rice for dinner every night to ensure my pets (that I am fully committed to) eat the best food available. That’s just scratching the surface.

Pets are a big responsibility and I convinced my mother to keep every single dog (4) I brought home, telling her I would take care of them, I would take them to College with me, no way I would stay in an apartment or dorm. She foolishly trusted her daughter thinking she was a mature young lady who had an undying love for animals- now my dad is stuck with three dogs (I was willing to take one because they wanted to give her to the shelter). Now I have two large dogs! We moved to live with my grandmother-in-law who said she could provide free housing for us while we were in college (turned her garage into a studio apartment), said she was fine with dogs (she can’t stand finding one hair on her clothes, laundry is in our house, and was very impatient when we trained them to stop barking- she wanted to use a shock collar but we used counter conditioning), she said she could support us when we needed help, we can have any animal except a snake or spider. Sounds like it worked out? She lost her businesses, is struggling to keep her (ours too) house, and guess what- we got our ducks already! Boy did I struggle to find an affordable place that would allow all my babies, it’s out there, but who knows how comfortable they will be moving? We don’t even know if we’re movinng yet! I don’t want this unstable life for them, I don’t plan on staying here for 5+ years so that means I’ll have to (and my babies will) move again!! But I made this commitment and I trust myself more than anyone else. I don’t want to find them a home, but if it comes to it I will do extensive research to find one I trust. This is a last case scenario.
Also, I have no social life- can’t stay out late because I have to put my ducks in their coop by sunset. Have to work during free time, while still going to school! I have to strictly correspond my schedule with my husband to make sure no one is being neglected. We have to walk our dogs three times a day because our grandmother doesn’t have a grassy backyard, my two large dogs (75lbs and 45lbs) are in a studio apartment with us, although they love it, it gets stressful being in sure close confinement.

You can do it, but I wish someone could have foretold my future. I don’t know if I would change it though! Best of luck. Sorry to dump this on you!

Thank you for your wonderful story! Sorry to hear about all of those struggles though! Thanks for your thoughts!!

It is not similar, ducks are noisy, messy, muddy and smell much more than chickens. Plus Mom said no.

Gary

I am aware of the pros and cons of ducks. I appreciate your thoughts but MY mom actually did not say no. We're thinking about it as a family and I have not gotten an answer yet.

Thank you for your wonderful story! Sorry to hear about all of those struggles though! Thanks for your thoughts!!

I am aware of the pros and cons of ducks. I appreciate your thoughts but MY mom actually did not say no. We're thinking about it as a family and I have not gotten an answer yet.

Well I hope she holds firm in her opposition. They will be a burden on her or you when it’s time for college. You are young, you will have ducks someday.

Good luck

Gary

Please..this is a very important issue for me because I am a DEEP DARK GREEN environmentalist. Environment and human rights have been my passions since birth and I am in a life long WAR to save my planet understand? This is important. You telling people they need to stop eating meat to save the planet is turning people from our cause, and causing people to be unhealthy. My digestion was destroyed when I went vegetarian and my sister's digestion is completely destroyed from long term vegetarianism. Studies prove humans can not get the nutrients they need to survive without meat. All humans need meat for health. There are ESSENTIAL vitamins fatty acids etc found in meat that you simple can not get from plants and when you try to play with nature and do something so unnatural as stop eating animal products you throw off that balance of acids that we are required to have, you cause things like depression and even genetic changes like cancer. Going without meat is horrible for your brain, digestion etc. Your statistics are entirely incorrect. Globally, fossil fuel-based energy is responsible for about 60% of human greenhouse gas emissions, with deforestation at about 18%, and animal agriculture between 14% to 18% and they do not have to create an emissions at all if they are brought up in a sustainable way not the factory farm monoculture model we are using now. If you replaced that animal agriculture with grain or bean based agriculture you have to go through so much to PROCESS that grain to make it fit for human consumption that it would offset your gains. Cows and chickens process those grains and make it readily consumable to humans for us. Dogs create more toxic waste in the US than every factory in the US combined, But I don't see vegetarians who say be guilty that you are an omnivore to save the planet, I don't see them saying dogs are bad, dogs are not ESSENTIAL FOR HUMAN HEALTH. Please..Stop..

I'm curious- what did you decide to eat when you went vegetarian? Because there is a very big difference for a lot of people that decide to not eat meat and replace it with a ton of crap (breads, pastas, cookies, etc) or go plant based. I live mostly plant based. and I've truly never felt better.
Also- if you call yourself and environmentalist and still support the meat industry, that's highly interesting to me. In my own state, I can see how toxic the meat industry is for everyone here. And it's starting to get national attention too.
I don't think anyone here ever told anyone else to stop eating meat, but it seems there is a good amount of support for anyone that did. If you want to eat meat go for it.

I think we’re getting s little off topic with this vegetarian diet thing. Every person is different and we should all find diets that suit us. Humans in general have unspecialized dentition- meaning we can eat a varied diet, and that’s it. Meat or not. We are not “meant” to hunt and hold prey in our mouths- hence the lack of a diastema. However, we do synthesize proteins and nuts and eggs and even bugs can supply necessary ones for us. I personally decided to be a pescatarian- or an opportunistic vegetarian if you want to label it. I do not participate in the purchasing of meat as I do not morally agree with the mass production of raising an animal to kill it, however, I would rather eat meat if it is offered than let the animal die in vain and be thrown away. I do well with this diet, and meat actually upsets my stomach and digestion, it always has, even when I ate cheeseburgers and steaks often! Never gave it too much thought but found a pescatarian diet as a great compromise!

I'm curious- what did you decide to eat when you went vegetarian? Because there is a very big difference for a lot of people that decide to not eat meat and replace it with a ton of crap (breads, pastas, cookies, etc) or go plant based. I live mostly plant based. and I've truly never felt better.
Also- if you call yourself and environmentalist and still support the meat industry, that's highly interesting to me. In my own state, I can see how toxic the meat industry is for everyone here. And it's starting to get national attention too.
I don't think anyone here ever told anyone else to stop eating meat, but it seems there is a good amount of support for anyone that did. If you want to eat meat go for it.

I absolutely am a hard core environmentalist. A permaculturalist. I'm 41, I created the environmentalist and human rights club that still exists today at my high school at 13..I remember my first environmentalist rant to a stranger at age 3. I run an informal non profit that teaches people to sustainably grow their own fruits and vegetables and create sustainable communities. I give away 1000 of plants every year to people in my community, do you know about sustainable agriculture? Do you know the problems monoculture is causing? End of the world stuff... I got rid of my car two decades ago, converting our home to solar, every item in my home and all my clothing is from dumpster diving and we produce zero waste in my home. No trash for trash man ok? I can go on and on if you like. I am deep green buddy. Bill Mollison did not support vegetarianism either coincidentally. I just gave statistics and arguments against your claim that eating meat is environmental irresponsible or that replacing meat with a vegetable based diet is any better for our planet than eating meat.... When I went vegetarian I researched it extensively as I do everything else and never in my life have I eaten ''junk''. I also tried frutarian raw and vegan, I was experimenting. College :p... You ARE saying people should feel guilty, as though they are hurting anything or our planet, by eating meat, and I am saying they absolutely are not, and not only that trying to make people feel guilty for being born omnivores is mentally warped and turning people from our cause, because thinking people know humans need meat to be healthy. They crave it, because humans need it to be healthy. If you want to be vegetarian go for it but you're not helping the planet, and you're not helping me save it by making people think in order to save the planet they have to do unnatural things like stop eating meat. No offence..

Back
Top Bottom