How to convince my mom to let me get ducks

When my kids wanted a dog, I initially so wanted to shout "NO!!!"

Instead, I stepped back and thought about it. Why was I saying no? Because I needed more information. I didn't want the dog, so I wasn't going to do the research.

I went back to the kids and said that I would like a written report, that included --

Breed of dog they wanted to get (had to be short hair or shedless but not hairless)
Stats on the average heights and size of that breed
Cost of feed for one year
Cost of medical for one year
Cost of equipment (food dish, collar, leash, kennel, etc) -- what would we need??
Rules/regulations for the city/county for a dog & the fees
Where would we get the dog

This was great. The kids were sooo excited! They were puzzled about where to get the information. I pointed them to the phone book and said we could go to the pet store for pricing items AFTER they had the other information, like breed.

As soon as the kids ran off, I gulped and asked myself, "What did I do???":th

Actually, I was BRILLIANT!!! :wee:weeYou know how long it took them to do the work and present a report? :clap More than five years.

But when they did write the report, they learned a LOT and were ready for the responsibility of having a dog. We adopt a dog from the Humane Society.

If only the kids could see me now... :eek: You have HOW many animals mom??? Lol. (Now I am the one adopting all kinds of animals. None of the kids has come to visit since I moved.)

Edited to correct a spelling error.

Last edited:
I was in a very similar situation as you. My parents worried that keeping chickens would be a burden that would rest on their shoulders. I saw where they were coming from. Our 1 dog, 3 cats, and 1 hamster are all taken care of by my parents. However, we came up with a compromise. I had to take care of my cats for a month straight. I had to clean the litter, feed them, and make sure they had water. Showing that you are capable of being responsible for another pet may show you are ready to take care of ducks. Best wishes and good luck!!

-Chatty :)

I'm not sure you should get ducks just because you really want them; but it's not my place to decide. It's between you and your parents. I think it might be of benefit to you to look into joining your local 4H. I know many of them raise livestock animals as projects. They also do a lot of other stuff, not just "farm" things. All of it is designed to be educational so I'm sure your parents would see the benefit.

Hmmmm.....This thread really turned into a heated humdinger....:th.....All the poor kid wants is a few Ducks....I love animals so I vote yes.....Ami als teach kids compassion and how to care for something else besides themselves....

I completely agree with animals being a great way to teach responsibility, but in the case that it doesn’t the parent needs to be responsible and teach the kid. I had a guinea pig when I was younger that I was told was all my responsibility, my parents had nothing to do with it, I ended up growing flowers from her lavender bedding because I didn’t clean her cage frequently enough. My husband however, got a cat for his birthday when he was younger, his parents took the approach of it being “his cat” but once they saw he was spending more time at home than with his cat they informed him on how he was being irresponsible and told him it is now the “family cat” but they still expect him to care for her. I like their approach better because the Animal didn’t just serve as a lesson and get mistreated like my guinea pig. My parents should have been involved from afar, and unless Ms. BridgerDavis’s mother or father are willing to take responsibility when/if she cannot then the ducks should not have to go through that.

I'm a teen though and I've had pets in the past. It's not like I'm going and buying a Jeep to go four-wheeling in the mountains. I have experience in the area and I'm not stupid. I realize my brain is not fully developed but I'm smart and I'm not going to be irresponsible when it comes to my pets. I agree with @chickensreally . My pets would teach me how to be more responsible. And I mean come on! I own a photography business, I can carry a bundle of red oak flooring, IM NOT A 3 YEAR OLD! I made this thread hoping for support but it's turned into (1) a diet conferentation and (2) criticism about why my effort s are not going to work. If you don't have anything nice to say, I i request that you not say anything at all. Thank you.

I completely agree with animals being a great way to teach responsibility, but in the case that it doesn’t the parent needs to be responsible and teach the kid. I had a guinea pig when I was younger that I was told was all my responsibility, my parents had nothing to do with it, I ended up growing flowers from her lavender bedding because I didn’t clean her cage frequently enough. My husband however, got a cat for his birthday when he was younger, his parents took the approach of it being “his cat” but once they saw he was spending more time at home than with his cat they informed him on how he was being irresponsible and told him it is now the “family cat” but they still expect him to care for her. I like their approach better because the Animal didn’t just serve as a lesson and get mistreated like my guinea pig. My parents should have been involved from afar, and unless Ms. BridgerDavis’s mother or father are willing to take responsibility when/if she cannot then the ducks should not have to go through that.

Also, I am a boy.

I got my first two ducks when I was 14. Yep, a teenager. Two drakes that were totally my responsibility - I fed them, watered them, and did all the pen cleaning. My parents let me get them because I had already proven my responsibility as far as animals went, since I already owned birds and various other pets throughout the years. If I hadn't taken care of them, they would have gone right back to my aunt's where they came from. So I do think you would be capable of their care, but if you have not proven to your parents yet that you are responsible enough to be their sole caregivers, I can understand your mother's reticence.

The weird spiral this thread took on diet I don't understand why was necessary, but they do make vegetarian feeds for poultry that are not made with animal products. However, you do need to understand that while you may have morals and ethics that keep you from eating meat, ducks have no such compunction. They will eat all the bugs, worms, frogs, fish, and even mice they can get their bills on, and you have to be okay with that.

That's not a slam on your vegetarian lifestyle - I myself was a vegetarian for three years due to moral reasons (the horrifying way animals are treated with factory farming methods) and also I wanted to help the environment (beef and pork production are the leading producers of greenhouse gasses). I just say this because you have to be fine with your ducks eating meat, because they're going to, whether you provide a feed with animal byproducts in it or not. You probably knew this, but I thought I'd touch on it just in case.

And as has been said, don't harass your parents about it. I used to do that when I was younger and wanted pets, for example the time I wanted rats - I did not get them. It never helped anything and it will just annoy your parents. If they really say no, accept that. You have plenty of time left ahead of you for duck ownership, and nothing will stop you from getting some when you have your own place.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom