How to coop train chicks during hot weather

could anyone help me with knowing is chickens get too hot? It's 90 here today and tomorrow. Usually it's not that hot 90 95 is pretty hot to us in New York State. Should I place a fan out for them? They are stretching out and Panting a little. Just unsure if they will be OK. They are inside but in a room with no ac. Have over head fan on and a small one just to move air. The little 1 week olds are fine but my meat birds 4 weeks are hot from how they are laying down.
I'm no expert and have never raised meat chickens before, so you might be better off starting your own thread or looking at existing threads in the meat bird section. Is it possible to get any airflow for your birds? Either by opening a few windows or in an outdoor run that has shade? Even if they are a little warm for a few hours during the heat of the day they should be okay as long as they have access to plenty of fresh water. You can also prepare some hot-weather treats like putting ice cubes in the water or frozen watermelon rinds.

could anyone help me with knowing is chickens get too hot? It's 90 here today and tomorrow. Usually it's not that hot 90 95 is pretty hot to us in New York State. Should I place a fan out for them? They are stretching out and Panting a little. Just unsure if they will be OK. They are inside but in a room with no ac. Have over head fan on and a small one just to move air. The little 1 week olds are fine but my meat birds 4 weeks are hot from how they are laying down.

Deep all day shade is best but....

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

I'm no expert and have never raised meat chickens before, so you might be better off starting your own thread or looking at existing threads in the meat bird section. Is it possible to get any airflow for your birds? Either by opening a few windows or in an outdoor run that has shade? Even if they are a little warm for a few hours during the heat of the day they should be okay as long as they have access to plenty of fresh water. You can also prepare some hot-weather treats like putting ice cubes in the water or frozen watermelon rinds.
Yes they are inside with a small fan on. There are starting to cool down I wanna say. No panting.

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
full

full

full
Ok. They are inside. My house sucks in the heat 😩 I got a fan on them seems to be helping.

I will make some but if I ever need some. Thank you for that. What is the powered?

full

full

full

I have just transitioned my 5-week-old chicks to be outside 24/7. My next step is to train them to return to the coop at night; I've been going in and moving them up to their coop by hand. I know that most folks coop train by locking chickens in the coop for at least several days, but it is already hot here in Florida with highs of 87-89 all week. We built the coop with plenty of ventilation (open bottom, two huge windows on opposite sides) and we can keep it mostly shaded, but I am still worried about the temperature in the afternoons. Thoughts? Any alternatives to locking them in the coop for days?
I didn’t lock mine up. I put them in one day before dinner. Then let them out the next day. I had to catch a few that night to put them in and after that they went in every night.

It may take a couple days but if you are willing to catch them and put them in then it is an option

Back
Top Bottom