1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how to deal with a cracked egg for hatching

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by syble, Mar 21, 2011.

1. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    i was gonna post this once they were closer to hatching but figured its better to know ahead of time. And yes i understand there is a good chance the chick will die before hatching.

I have a beltsville white turkey egg in the bator. hes on day 11 and growing well. there are some cracks in his shell and a bit of a divit where they all meet. i taped them prior to incubating. whats the best way to go about hatching him cause there are a fair amount of tape...
    Thanks
    Sib

2. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    I heard you could use wax. But I dont know.

3. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Nevet taped an egg before but I would remove the tape at lockdown if it were me. You didn't use duct tape did you?

4. syble

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    na, i used scotch tape. i figured i'd have to peel most of it off as there is probably half the shell covered, i'm surprise he grew actually. my only concern is the divit, there are multiple chunks of shell there that i dont know if they are connected to anything other then the tape :S
    Sib

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I shipped some chicken eggs to a lady last month. One of them arrived cracked. She sealed it with wax and it hatched fine, shipped and all!

6. medan

medan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    I know the hatcherys break the top of the egg and inject it with vaccine and they all hatch

7. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I think I heard they do that at day 19 right?

8. syble

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    i think i'd be less concerned if it was wax, but having used tape it wraps all round the side like a blanket. I'll just have to wait and see and peal i guess hehe
    Hope for the best

9. syble

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    Well Crackhead still lives, much to my surprize and is due to hatch thursday [​IMG] Guess i'll go with the peeling method. Fingers crossed!

10. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    did he hatch?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by