How to eat a chicken.

Tamdog

Songster
Apr 23, 2020
Okay, I have not been on here long but I have seen so many people talk about eating their chickens- especially a Rooster. I am being really serious when I ask you- How do you do that? I LOVE eating chicken....when I buy it from the store, and I can only imagine how good a fresh homegrown chicken would taste..but do you have tricks for "disassociating" when you actually kill one and eat it? I have been giving it some thought and wondered maybe if I put it in the freezer I could eat it later with out feeling grossed out. The honest truth is if I think about even eating an egg ( and what I am actually eating) I get grossed out. Also, In the 60's my husband use to kill chickens for his mom to cook- and he says it is really smelly and nasty.

We used to process our own, but now there's an inspected processor 30 minutes from our house. the birds go in a crate in the morning, and we pick up chilled vacuum wrapped carcasses in the afternoon. Those birds had a nice life until that last day, and come home ready for the freezer, with none of the mess at home!
If there's a processor near you, it's great!
At home, it's doable, but yes, it's a mess.
Food does not grow in styrofoam at the grocery store! Home grown chickens can have a decent life, unlike the poor hens producing those grocery store eggs, and those chilled chicken parts in their coolers.
Mary

Don't spend a lot of time with you rooster before butchering. When we first did our own, it wasn't quite as messy as we expected. My dad had a full apron, face shield, boots, etc., but it wasn't needed. I can't bring myself to do the deed, but once it's done I can scald, pluck and gut the chicken.

Fresh home-grown rooster, if it's just any old barnyard chicken will not be as pleasant as you may expect. You may find that it is a much skinnier and tougher bird than you are used to buying at the store (in fact, that's almost a guarantee).

If however you are serious about raising your own chicken for meat, you could get some fast growing meat birds like Cornish X or Freedom Rangers. These will be ready to butcher much sooner (7-12 weeks), than other breeds of chicken (esp. those that specialize in laying eggs).

Not to say of course that you can't/shouldn't eat your own non-meat roosters, I do. But it is a hassle and I don't enjoy it as much as store bought chicken or home-raised meat birds.

We used to process our own, but now there's an inspected processor 30 minutes from our house. the birds go in a crate in the morning, and we pick up chilled vacuum wrapped carcasses in the afternoon. Those birds had a nice life until that last day, and come home ready for the freezer, with none of the mess at home!
If there's a processor near you, it's great!
At home, it's doable, but yes, it's a mess.
Food does not grow in styrofoam at the grocery store! Home grown chickens can have a decent life, unlike the poor hens producing those grocery store eggs, and those chilled chicken parts in their coolers.
Mary
Good deal! I was thinking if I took them somewhere I would have to kill them first and then carry a dead chicken to a butcher - so taking a live on off sounds so much easier. BTW: Is there an AGE that is too old to eat?

Back
Top Bottom