How to eat (your own) chicken (without losing your lunch!)

Peregrine

Songster
10 Years
May 28, 2009
North Georgia
Fairly new to the chicken adventure, I've had people ask me how we can stand eating the chickens we watch grow from fluffy balls to magestic plumed creatures with full personalities.
ep.gif
After a few years I've come up with some keys to being able to eat my dinner without thinking too hard about where it came from:

Step 1: Don't name the chicken! And try to keep your children from naming it, too! That just makes it worse as you're lifting your laden fork to your lips. Some names may be unavoidable, such as, "the big white rooster", but at leat it's impersonal. If you plan on eating your laying hens after their egg-laying days have come and gone, and you must absolutely name them to keep them straight, give them non-human names, such as Cotton, Snowy, Freckles, and the such. The last thing you want to do is kill the chicken you named after your dear, departed Aunt Mildred! Some of the names in my coop include Sahara, Swan, Pepper, Streak, Midnight, Cocoa, Caramel, and Sprinkles. We even named one Cordon Bleu, but the neighbor's dog got that one!

Step 2: Process more than one chicken at a time. It's a lot easier to lose track of "who" you're eating if you don't really know in the first place! Even better, after you process them, put them in the freezer for 6 months--you won't even remember what they looked like.
hu.gif

Step 3: Cook it so that it doesn't look like chicken. Put it in a casserole, make a chicken salad, but if you're just getting started, don't pull the whole chicken out of the crock pot on Sunday afternoon and expect the family to gobble it up!

If you're still having problems, then as a last resort, move to step 4: Have someone else do it! If the next time you see your chicken it looks a lot like what you'd get in the grocery store, it's harder for the brain to make the connection!

Good luck to all of you who are just starting on this new way of life. I hope these steps make this healthier way of eating chicken easier for you to stomach!
droolin.gif

Thank you I just processed my first 2 roosters today, I will admit I'm a little apprehensive (or scared) to eat them. We will be making a stew Wen with their meat.

Those were a hatch of eggs I got for my very first broody hen, so the hen (my named pet hen, 1 of 5) raised them. They are not named, nor we were attached to them. We should be ok. 7 hens left to b processed later
wink.png

I had a milk cow named Stella and when I helped her give birth to her first baby (a boy) I knew he would go in the freezer someday. We named & registered him so he would show up as her progeny on her pedigree. Our farm name is Seven Trees, and his name was Douglas Fir of Seven Trees Farm. So 18 months later Doug became our beef supply, and people sure gave us a lot of flack for naming our meat. Oh well. He tasted good and had a great life.

Our pigs get names like BB&Q and Patty & Link. We don't name hens at all since we have too many to tell apart easily, and they end up in the stew pot if we don't sell them first.

I think it helps to decide up front if your critters will be pets or livestock and act accordingly.

Today was the day for me, too. It didn't go so well. I don't want to traumatize anyone, so I will keep details to myself. As for eating him (the other 4 will be done tomorrow by a friend that is used to doing it), I don't think I can at this point. Maybe in a few weeks or months. Two roosters did have names, but they all started looking alike, and I don't know one from the other. I am trying not to guess either. AS you said, once they are just meat, I will not be able to tell at all.

We name all our chickens and so far have had no problem eating them. Whenever I'm asked how I can eat a chicken I've named I tell them that at least they had a good life and got to be a real chicken before becoming dinner.

I think it helps to decide up front if your critters will be pets or livestock and act accordingly.
Yes, me too.

We ate a chicken tonight that I had just processed a few days ago. We only had one ready to go at the time, and even though the breasts were whole, it was smothered in speghetti sauce and cheese. Still, at times it was a little tough to get down. Just focus on the conversation......
wink.png

We have a bottle calf we are raising. My wife calls him Henry Hamburger. No one has named the chickens yet. I think that is mostly because I am the only one that does anything with them.

lol.. when i was a kid my mother would announce at dinner who we were eating (she even marked the packages with their names at slaughter time)

There's nothing quite like biting into a piece of fried chicken and have your mother ask how "Emily" tastes...

We name all our chickens and so far have had no problem eating them. Whenever I'm asked how I can eat a chicken I've named I tell them that at least they had a good life and got to be a real chicken before becoming dinner.
That's the way I think of it. The meat birds are raised for that purpose. We know our layers will go to freezer camp too, even with their names, and it was all understood when we went with dual purpose birds for our laying flock. But we've given them all good lives and let them do what they do naturally all their lives.

As for smothering them with sauces or trying to pretend there's something on the plate other than a bird that was running around the yard a week ago, I'd rather see that bird in all it's glory and taste the full flavor of the meat. I've quit using marinades and doing anything that smothers the flavor - if I wanted chicken that you have to add flavor to, I'd be down at the grocery getting one of those cardboard chickens.

They're chickens, not pets.

-DB

I agree. The fact is, I am not a vegetarian and never plan to be one. I eat animals and so do most people. I name my chickens and think of them as pets and I ate the first one a few weeks ago. I eat chicken almost everyday, at least I know my chicken had a good life and a clean death. I do not see any moral or emotional difference between eating a chicken you know versus one you do not.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom