How to feed a corn free, soy free diet cost effectively?

jessica66

In the Brooder
May 24, 2019
Southeast Florida
For the health of those eating eggs, I’d like to switch my chickens ( 3 hen 1 roo) to a corn free soy free food. I’m a-ok to make it myself and have sufficient space to grow food within reason. I’m having issues cost effectively sourcing wheat and other grains. I’m in south Florida so not much grain is grown here. Any ideas? I am growing sorghum, amaranth and cowpeas so could I incorporate these to some purchased grain to minimize cost?

For the health of those eating eggs, I’d like to switch my chickens ( 3 hen 1 roo) to a corn free soy free food. I’m a-ok to make it myself and have sufficient space to grow food within reason. I’m having issues cost effectively sourcing wheat and other grains. I’m in south Florida so not much grain is grown here. Any ideas? I am growing sorghum, amaranth and cowpeas so could I incorporate these to some purchased grain to minimize cost?

A feed store should sell 50 lb bags of feed wheat for $10-$15 bucks.

You could also buy bags of crimped oats at a feed store (or have them order it) but those are really really hard so you would have to make sure the birds could actually digest them.

I honestly don't think you can do it without corn and remain cost effective. May I ask what specific problem do you have with the corn? I understand the soy free, but you can buy quality corn that is free of chemicals and grown responsibly. If glyphosate is what you are trying to avoid, then beware of most wheat as well.

We have a feed recipe, but it contains corn and soy so it probably won't be very much help to you, but maybe it will give you an idea of some of the ingredients you may want to consider and what it takes to build a feed of your own. Some simple calculations would be required to substitute the corn and the soy for other ingredients. The important factor is the protein and starch content of those two ingredients, make sure to replace them with equal amounts of starch and protein.

Full disclosure: I did not create this recipe, someone much smarter than I am did :)
The creator of the recipe notes that a full balance in the diet is important as true health requires more than just a life-sustaining minimum.

Recipe for chicks. We add more corn as the protein needs change. (Percentage by weight)
Corn 52%
Roasted soy beans 29% (I know, corn and soy..)
Crimped oats 11%
Feed grade limestone 1%
Fertrell Nurtribalancer 3%
Fish meal 3.5%
Kelp meal 0.5%
Probiotics 0.1%

I used this recipe for several years, and then I moved and it was easier for us to buy bagged feed by the pallet so we aren't feeding this right now, but I would like to get back to it in the future because it works well and if you can get the ingredients, it's very economical.

Modern chickens have the longest lifespans in chicken keeping history because the quality of commercially-made feed is amazing. I strongly advocate against going down that road of making your own feed, at least without research. For example, quinoa and amaranth *can* be fed to chickens, but only up to a certain amount and only if they are sprouted or cooked because they contain anti-nutritents (inhibit nutrient absorption). With that said, both are good sources of lysine, which is a challenging to obtain, but crucial protein needed in chicken feed. Quinoa also doesn't grow that great at lower altitudes, supposedly.

I talk about my own adventures with thinking about growing my own feed here: https://humble-hills-farm.com/2020/...nd-cost-calculator-for-homemade-chicken-feed/

But in short, even with growing some of my own grains, the cost of sourcing organic grains still put me at a higher amount than what it would cost me to buy organic pre-made feed. In addition, organic chicken feed actually has an enormous environmental impact because virtually all organic feed grains (because that was my interest at the time of researching) are grown over seas, and therefore aren't even that fresh.

Finally, at the time I went down this road I had ten birds. I go through 30-40 pounds a feed a month. It takes an enormous amount of land and time to grow that much feed.

If you really, really, really insist though, that link has a well-researched "plug and play" feed calculator to help you calculate the correct amount of protein needed in any given recipe, you can add your own ingredients, and you can calculate cost when buying those grains. I've spent months researching, and what I learned was I am going to grow some sunflower seeds for treats and visit Tractor Supply for more feed.

Last edited:
But in short, even with growing some of my own grains, the cost of sourcing organic grains still put me at a higher amount than what it would cost me to buy organic pre-made feed.

She asked where to buy wheat. She didn't say organic and if that is what she wants then yeah, it will cost a fortune.

Back
Top Bottom