How to find a lost chicken in the dark

its 7 where I am. Already dark.
sad.png

for some reason my chickens are blind in the dark.. -.- they were flying into walls when I got them to come in. I hope one of them didn't break a blood feather or get brain damage.

All chickens are blind in the dark. They lack the rods (or cones?) in their eyes that allow night vision. Mine will get as far inside something as they can if I'm late to gather them up. Look in the corners of the yard, next to solid objects, etc. Do you have a dog that can go with you on a leash to look.

By the way, get yourself a windup flashlight for a holiday gift. No batteries, always works, about $8-10. They are priceless; wish I could send you one!

Can she get under the coop? Under bushes or stairs? I've had some go underneath something instead of going up.

And yes, all chickens cannot see in the dark. They also have trouble in low light situations. If they get caught out when the sun goes down they tend to stay put. So also look around where they hang out for the day. I had one sit in the middle of the garden.

Last edited:
We Found Her... By The Feed Can! She Is A Smartyyyy.. This Is The Second Time She Has Shown Her Witts. She Stayed Away From The Flock Which I Think Is Smart... And Last Time She Perched The Highest On The Boat Instead Of The Bench.

Back
Top Bottom