Chicken stressed in lock-up because of alligator in yard

Sunshine_Chick

Crowing
5 Years
Feb 11, 2019
Southeast
I hope I've chosen the proper category to post in for my problem; if not, kindly advise. You see I've had an alligator show up on Monday afternoon & since then my poor chicken & the yard cat have been locked up on the screen porch for safety. No more free-ranging until it's been removed. Neither is happy & of course she's not laid since Monday which I'm okay with from an egg gathering perspective. My concern is how to help her cope. I make sure they have ice water since it's very hot here & she's pooping & eating,but her poor life has changed drastically and I'm afraid her health is suffering. This is my first experience having a gator invade our space and I just narurally assumed it would have been removed quickly as in that day or the next. Boy was I wrong! Tomorrow will be day 6 and as it's the weekend I have zero faith anyone will call or show up. I do call every dang day & sure I've been dubbed "a Karen" (sorry to any Karens as I don't mean to disrespect). I've also learned they have 45 days to remove the gator. The silver lining is seems the gator caught a raccoon last night & I hope it's the one that got her flockmate. Guess I'm asking how to help her cope with such a drastic change in regards to stress, her health, enrichment, etc. Don't believe either her, nor the cat will survive 45 days of severe punishment jail. At least I understand why I cannot go outside & I've told them, but of course there is a language barrier. I apologize for going on & on, but frankly I am gobsmacked that the authorities do not view it as urgent. Thank you so much to anyone who replies & has any suggestions!

Your bird and cat will be perfectly fine inside where they're safe.
they're just having a bit of a tantrum, don't worry, they arent going to die from not being able to use the yard.
Quit calling everyday, it isn't necessary and likely getting you put farther and farther down on the list, they likely get a dozen more serious calls a day.

I’d definitely not want a gator in my yard over a month. Maybe some Frozen fruit and some seeds to peck around at to keep busy might help.
Thanks! It's in my pool so basically 3 feet from my back door and though not large still a 5 foot apex predator. I did go out & water a few potted plants that are wilting, though one I completely missed the pot/plant because I kept my eyes on him. I did give her some frozen pineapple today which is my standard cooling offering. My porch is getting nasty already because chickens poop a lot.

Your bird and cat will be perfectly fine inside where they're safe.
they're just having a bit of a tantrum, don't worry, they arent going to die from not being able to use the yard.
Quit calling everyday, it isn't necessary and likely getting you put farther and farther down on the list, they likely get a dozen more serious calls a day.
Thanks for your reply. I was advised to call the trapper daily by the state authorities- maybe they've had issues with him previously & they're testing his response times :confused:

What about one of the cheap plastic blue pools from like Walmart add some dirt or sand ? Altho the cat might think it’s a huge litter box 🤷🏻‍♀️ or some temporary plastic fencing to keep it in one area then move around. My old neighbors used to hunt them and had some type of air boat, you could try a private company to come sooner. Best of luck I avoid any body of water cause of them. Even the springs….

Thanks for your reply. I was advised to call the trapper daily by the state authorities- maybe they've had issues with him previously & they're testing his response times :confused:
Not sure how it works on your area but in mine you hire your own licensed trapper for pest animals. Not cheap but he was here daily every time I needed something removed.

Not sure how it works on your area but in mine you hire your own licensed trapper for pest animals. Not cheap but he was here daily every time I needed something removed.
They're protected in Florida, so you notify the state & they then deem the gator a nuisance and issue a permit to a contracted trapper.

What about one of the cheap plastic blue pools from like Walmart add some dirt or sand ? Altho the cat might think it’s a huge litter box 🤷🏻‍♀️ or some temporary plastic fencing to keep it in one area then move around. My old neighbors used to hunt them and had some type of air boat, you could try a private company to come sooner. Best of luck I avoid any body of water cause of them. Even the springs….
I just learned today that they have 45 days and then if nothing done another permit is issued. Today's nee knowledge is why I'm inquiring about long term ideas since naively I assumed it'd be gone by now. The pool is a good idea. Should be interesting to see if he killed anything else overnight again. I spend a lot of time glued to my windows watching him.
It's a felony to harass, harm or kill a gator; however, the assigned trapper has a permit to kill.

Back
Top Bottom