How to find the right coop if you can't build it?

The sides and roof of the old coop are actually metal. The front is wood and maybe the back (I'd have to double check). The base seems to be buried into the ground. I don't think anything is rotting but some of the trim, but I could be wrong. If nothing else, I was thinking perhaps I could sand and stain it (or sand, prime and paint it) to have a secondary coop for adolescent birds or quarantine (though I hope I never need that).

Hmm well I'd definitely check the metal for any sign of rust or deterioration. For me the main issue is the roof really needs to be raised (and possibly pitched more sharply, to help with rain/snow), and of course a human door added. There's also gaps which rodents and small birds could squeeze into, but not sure how big/bad they are.

Wouldn't be a bad secondary unit or maybe even storage for coop supplies, depending on how big it is.

They look pretty good, definitely solid.
Open bottom design is probably great for Georgia.
Wish he had talked more about the roof vents, but they look pretty good.
I like that he mentioned anti-dig aprons, he'd probably make them for you.
Overall looks like a good design and materials.

Agrees with another posted who mentioned putting 1/2" HC around the bottom to deter raccoon reachthru's.

Also agree with poster who said trailer could well be backed up 'alley' and thru the 12' gate...ask the builder.

Hmm well I'd definitely check the metal for any sign of rust or deterioration. For me the main issue is the roof really needs to be raised (and possibly pitched more sharply, to help with rain/snow), and of course a human door added. There's also gaps which rodents and small birds could squeeze into, but not sure how big/bad they are.

Wouldn't be a bad secondary unit or maybe even storage for coop supplies, depending on how big it is.

Oh, supplies. That's smart. I didn't even think of that!

I like that he mentioned anti-dig aprons, he'd probably make them for you.

Oh didn't notice anything about anti-dig aprons, if that's something that can be added on for a small cost then that would save you some work. Though after having installed them myself, it's really not a difficult task, just a bit time consuming.

Oh didn't notice anything about anti-dig aprons, if that's something that can be added on for a small cost then that would save you some work. Though after having installed them myself, it's really not a difficult task, just a bit time consuming.
I watched a couple videos...was in one of those.
Website doesn't really give all the details.
But the guy seems pretty good, and price is really reasonable for materials used.

I will most definitely be adding one! I just heard a horror story about a weasel digging into someone's coop and killing the entire flock! :(

Strip the old coop except for the roof. Use it as a covered run. Integrate the new coop into it.

That's a good idea too. I'm kind of glad we still have that old coop now. Several months ago, I had some people come out to remove it. I explained the job, warned them that it was sturdy and that they'd have to dismantle it to get rid of it. They came out to see it and didn't even want to try. Well, maybe that will end up being a good thing.

Didn't notice where you live, but I got an excellent coop from Tucker's Coops in Phoenixville, PA. They have YouTube videos, and one is of them placing a coop in a very challenging sitution.

The coop was very well-built, insulated ceiling, metal roof, thick wood, glassboard floor, etc. I had purchased a coop from Tucker for my last house, and am getting a new one at the house I moved to last year. (It comes in two weeks.)

Back
Top Bottom