how to get a dog to get along with a goose?

Marty907

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 13, 2014
North Pole Alaska
For a while we have been trying to get our dog to get along with our goose so that we can let the birds free range in the yard, while supervised, with the dogs. But every time we introduce the dog to them on a leash the goose comes up and puts her neck over the dog as dominance thing, I think? The dog kind of snaps at her and I'm afraid that she might end up hurting her. The dog does fine until the goose does that.

For a while we have been trying to get our dog to get along with our goose so that we can let the birds free range in the yard, while supervised, with the dogs. But every time we introduce the dog to them on a leash the goose comes up and puts her neck over the dog as dominance thing, I think? The dog kind of snaps at her and I'm afraid that she might end up hurting her. The dog does fine until the goose does that.

Welcome to our flock!
welcome-byc.gif
You must make the dog submissive to whatever the goose does. I taught my dog to put up with everything done to him by a chicken, including getting pecked in the eye! I don't know if you'll be able to let the dog loose with a goose since geese are more aggressive than chickens. Anyway, lots of training for the dog. I used leash outside at first and inside, let chicks walk all over him and whatever with him laid down and relaxed on his side. As chicks got older, they walked around the floor with the dog (always made to lay down) until chicks were 8 weeks. After that, all chickens were part of his pack. He was a good guard and companion for them. Dog was well trusted outside with chickens off leash. RIP

Dog and goose need to learn each others language. Current dyamic must change and they will have to work it out. My male dog normally dominates all my chickens socially until chicks come into picture. Then hens temporaly rise up and dog has to watch his step. Dog has elaborate signals that make so attacking hens back off. I have videos of some.

I agree that during the course of training that the dog and goose will learn each other's language. Both will have a good sense of when to back down or socialize. posting the video is a great idea!

Example provides not best direct but shows how dog can respond. Notice dog talks back in this instance by snapping at but not actually biting hen. He then looks away.

[VIDEO]

Another response that is more elaborate involves dog arching head slowly away as hen approaches so he looks away. He also squints his eyes for obvious reasons. He never runs but will only be pushed so far before penning the attacking bird down. Penned hen, which does not happen often then quickly returns to brood.

Chicks were primary reason for video and unfortunately can not be edited out.

Dog and goose need to learn each others language. Current dyamic must change and they will have to work it out. My male dog normally dominates all my chickens socially until chicks come into picture. Then hens temporaly rise up and dog has to watch his step. Dog has elaborate signals that make so attacking hens back off. I have videos of some.
Can we see the videos ????

Back
Top Bottom