How to get chickens from run to coop before night fall?

Because I can not walk into my run, how can I get my 4 chickens inside their coop prior to night time? or isnt that necessary?
Can you post pictures of your setup?
It sounds like it may be too small, cramped and under ventilated.

Last edited:
They should go in on their own at dusk. Are they not doing so, or are you wanting them in earlier?
Neither really. I am a newbie and yesterday was the first day in their run. I had to go out for the evening and wanted to get them in the coop before I left. Didnt know what to do. I asked my one son who was home to take care of it. Havent had a chance to ask him how he supposedly was able to do it. Perhaps they automatically went in on their own.

Treats definitely work better than sticks - but only work when it still has day light. They should go back to the coop on their own. And since your run is predator proof, it's safe even if they choose not to go in.

We have three coops and one covered run - all connected and predator proof. 3 of our young flock decided that they'd use the covered run as their bedroom (really not a bad choice since it's weather proof and spacious, maybe a couple degrees cooler than the coops.) We decided to just let them be. Too hectic trying to move them into the nice coop we built for them.

Our entire complex (run and coops) are locked down after dark.

Neither really. I am a newbie and yesterday was the first day in their run. I had to go out for the evening and wanted to get them in the coop before I left. Didnt know what to do. I asked my one son who was home to take care of it. Havent had a chance to ask him how he supposedly was able to do it. Perhaps they automatically went in on their own.
Curious to see what he did, if anything, or if they went in on their own.

Were the chickens homed to the coop (locked in for a few days) before you let them into the run? If so, they generally will return to the coop on their own at dusk.

Back
Top Bottom