How to get ducklings to go in and out of dog house?

pullonyourboots

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 3, 2013
Cape Cod, MA
We have 10 ducklings almost 2 weeks old. It is very hot outside, warmer then it was in their brooder so I started putting them in their outdoor area that is fenced off and very safe from predators. It has top netting and even bottom netting so they cant squeek through the bottom. We have a large dog house set up for them with a ramp and they can get in and out but they dont always do it on their own. How do I teach them to use it more? It seems when I put them in it, they wont come out.... when i take them out... they dont go in. Also were only keeping them outside during hot days and inside for night and cold days until they are older. But will they learn to use the dog house on their own? They all got wet from their water so i put them inside the dog house, they dried off fine and got warm then i took them out. I just want to know they know how to go in and get warm and not stay outside and stay wet?

How cold is it at night? Does the dog house have enough ventilation. Are they huddled together outside of the house? Maybe they aren't really cold. It took about 4 days for mine to learn to go in at night.

its about 70 at night but we only keep them outside from about 9am to 7om then bring them back inside under the brooder light for the night. the dog house doesnt have ventalation but it is wood not plastic so it does breath a little but they dried off very fast when i put them in there. i just went outside and there all sleeping outside and cuddled together but they dont seem cold. i just dont want them to get soaked from getting in their water then freeze... we are however hanging their waterer tonight from chain so they shouldnt be able to jump in it anymore

Ducks need water. They need to be able rinse and clean themselves. You should always provide a watering dish that they can stick their head in and wash their nostrils/eyes. I wouldn't worry about them getting cold in that weather, especially if there are ten. Nothing is funnier than watching ducklings preening themselves and each other.
If it's 70 at night, you should start leaving them out. Get a door and lock for the dog house and make sure they are secured every night at, say, 7 p.m. With ten ducklings and the lows being 70 at night, they won't freeze. You can even put a heating lamp up if you're worried. In hot weather, don't expect them to go in the dog house until bed time (it'll will become a habit if you chase them in every night). You'll need to ventilate the dog house somehow.

Last edited:
And set up a supervised swim time in a kiddie pool. You'll have to show them how to get in and out and, in a week or two, you won't have to supervise them anymore (you'll be the best judge of that). Swimming ducks are the best :)

Last edited:
Personally I would probly put them in the house then let them come out on their own. Unless they were trying to stay inside for 3 days or something crazy like that. I have a different set up here, but I was still picking mine up and physically setting them inside and helping them get out until they were almost 4wks old. And of course, some adult ducks for examples always helps. I would also try to teach them with treats.

Back
Top Bottom