How to get hens to lay eggs again?

HLail

Songster
Apr 7, 2018
I have a few hens that will be 2 in June of this year. But they randomly stopped laying once I had a broody hen and haven’t laid since. So they stopped laying around August- so about 5 months now. I also had a few hens who was younger, and will be turning 1 in March. I guess I expected them to lay some last year but they still to this day haven’t laid me a single egg and they’re almost 1 year old. So I have 6 hens who aren’t laying. Where I live we get about 10 hours of sunlight and our weather is currently ranging the lows of 30s & highs of 50/55s. I would really like to see my hens start laying soon or possibly early spring. What can I do to help encourage them to lay? I went today and bought some new chicken feed with higher protein and oyster shells. Is there anything else I can do?

I have a few hens that will be 2 in June of this year. But they randomly stopped laying once I had a broody hen and haven’t laid since. So they stopped laying around August- so about 5 months now. I also had a few hens who was younger, and will be turning 1 in March. I guess I expected them to lay some last year but they still to this day haven’t laid me a single egg and they’re almost 1 year old. So I have 6 hens who aren’t laying. Where I live we get about 10 hours of sunlight and our weather is currently ranging the lows of 30s & highs of 50/55s. I would really like to see my hens start laying soon or possibly early spring. What can I do to help encourage them to lay? I went today and bought some new chicken feed with higher protein and oyster shells. Is there anything else I can do?
They'll start up again when they're ready. It's best to let them have their natural break from laying.

The older ones I can chalk up to broodiness throwing things off in the flock, plus early cessation of laying isn't that unusual for me, but I find it odd that the younger ones haven't laid at all. How many older birds vs younger birds? Do you know what breeds you have? Do you free range, or are there any unusual spots in the coop or run they could possibly sneak into in order to lay?

I was just feeding them feed from tractor supply with 16% protein. Also was giving left over scrapes that was healthy when we had some such as cabbage, strawberries, tomatoes, apples etc. but only giving those treats in moderation. They had plenty of water as well. We don’t allow free ranging all the time due to coyotes & foxes where we live. They do have a run, and I’ve checked for eggs that might have been laid on the ground and those hens have yet to lay a single egg. I can only hope that those 3 hens aren’t “duds”. I’m sure they will lay this spring/summer, right? I started them on a higher protein chicken feed this week, and started oyster shells. I hope this helps.
I would switch temporarily to a higher protein starter or all-flock feed. Since none are laying, their kidneys are getting worked hard to rid them of the extra calcium. The extra protein won't hurt onset of ovulation at all.

We are at 10 hours,10 minutes of daylight now so we are at a similar latitude. It will be 11 hours by February 21. That rapid rise in day length should be enough to kick start the most obstinate of malingerers.
I have two pullets that hatched early last summer and never laid but in just the last week or so they and some of the older hens started/resumed.

Patience is a virtue, and I want it NOW!

The older ones I can chalk up to broodiness throwing things off in the flock, plus early cessation of laying isn't that unusual for me, but I find it odd that the younger ones haven't laid at all. How many older birds vs younger birds? Do you know what breeds you have? Do you free range, or are there any unusual spots in the coop or run they could possibly sneak into in order to lay?
So my hens that are almost a year old that’s never laid me an egg I got last March, I was surprised when they didn’t lay a single egg also. There is 3 of them, they are buff orphington, cinnamon queen & golden comment. They don’t get free range all the time because we have coyotes and foxes that will eat them. But I do allow supervised free range in the winter and more free range in the summer because we are outside a lot and they have a run that allows them plenty of room to roam. There is no where that I can think of that I haven’t checked that they could of been hiding and laying eggs. I hope they do lay for me this year.

Back
Top Bottom