How to get hens to lay eggs again?

Where I live
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1674050428909.png

I am so with you on waiting. I have a matriarch, and 5 pullets. Two laid a couple of eggs late in the fall, and stopped. I feel like I should have had eggs ALL winter with the theory of pullets are not effected by winter...but I did not.

Bright red combs, the rooster is mating them, maybe, maybe today is the day???

Chickens just exist to drive you crazy. I am in western SD, and according to my notes, a lot of times my girls start laying in January...but we have had a lot of dark days. I am thinking of setting up lights, and I never have before!

Mrs K

I am so with you on waiting. I have a matriarch, and 5 pullets. Two laid a couple of eggs late in the fall, and stopped. I feel like I should have had eggs ALL winter with the theory of pullets are not effected by winter...but I did not.

Bright red combs, the rooster is mating them, maybe, maybe today is the day???

Chickens just exist to drive you crazy. I am in western SD, and according to my notes, a lot of times my girls start laying in January...but we have had a lot of dark days. I am thinking of setting up lights, and I never have before!

Mrs K
I was considering setting up a light as well to see if it helps with egg production again. But then again I am also on fence because if they need the break I respect that. But then again I am like they haven’t laid a single egg since I bought them and they’re almost 1 year old. I think they’ve had plenty of rest time considering they’ve never laid a egg. And my older hens have had a break from laying for almost 6 months now. So I am like they really have had a good break also and I’d like them to lay again. If you add a light and see good results let me know. Thanks.

only time my chickens stopped laying was after a dog attack. That was three weeks or so.
Kids, dogs, motor cycles spooking them , night time predators outside the coop... too much eyeballing each other/ drama in the flock.
In five months i can have new girls producing eggs. I have duel purpose chickens for a reason.
I am going to cull and replace if i don't get production. Eggs pay for my feed and feed prices are high. Like Katt Williams said , pimping ain't easy.

Mine did that a couple yearsago. No eggs August to March. So last year I gave them supplemental light. I undrrstand they need about 14 hours of light. Will do it again soon. Good luck!

I was just feeding them feed from tractor supply with 16% protein. Also was giving left over scrapes that was healthy when we had some such as cabbage, strawberries, tomatoes, apples etc. but only giving those treats in moderation. They had plenty of water as well. We don’t allow free ranging all the time due to coyotes & foxes where we live. They do have a run, and I’ve checked for eggs that might have been laid on the ground and those hens have yet to lay a single egg. I can only hope that those 3 hens aren’t “duds”. I’m sure they will lay this spring/summer, right? I started them on a higher protein chicken feed this week, and started oyster shells. I hope this helps.
Mine went into molt and quit laying a few months ago, age 30 months in Florida. Happy day today, I found two eggs, from three hens. Yippy. I used feather fixer from tractor supply

Do you know for a fact how old the pullets were when you bought them? It's hard to age a chicken. I have 2 7 mo old birds who haven't laid yet. No squatting or anything but their combs are red like they are laying. It's very weird. Mine are penned so I know they aren't sneaking off. I hatched mine so I know their exact age.
You can try cayenne in their feed. I've done it in the past and it does work but I live in Vegas so it's never 0 °

Back
Top Bottom