How to get my ducks to survive the winter!

lizamarie0686

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 9, 2013
I live in northern ny and we get some pretty harsh winter here sometimes. This is the first year we have had ducks, pekin ducks to be exact and we have 5 of them. I was wondering how i can make there house be warmer for the winter any tips would be extremely helpful.

^ on this picture there is a hole in the back, so they could have air over the summer, i have covered this now, since it is getting colder

I also live in northern NY. Adirondacks area. How big is their house? It doesn't look big enough for the 5 of them for the winter. As you know we have harsh winters and there will be days that they need to stay inside. I use straw or hay in their house as it helps them with heat along with it out on the ground so they don't get frostbite. I also add corn to their diet as it helps them produce heat. I also use a heat lamp if it gets below freezing no matter what. But it doesn't look like their house is tall enough for that. So maybe plastic or tarps around the outside to help keep heat in.

i live at 7thousand 2 hundread feet in new mexico and was born in freeman county minn.

Just worry about your self the ducks be just fine there the one with the duck down coats.

if it gets 50 below and there feet stick to the ground just thaw them out with a little water

no need to warm the water none .. were talking ducks here not chickens ..

yes im from the same area, the house is a full sheet of plywood, cant remember its exact measurements but it has plenty of room for all five of them and then some lol, i can fit in there comfortably and im 5' 4". im using straw now, and i was considering putting it around the outside. i think it might be tall enough to put a heat lamp in there not sure I'm gonna try it out before winter comes. Thank you for the advice.

oh i think they and you will be just fine ..
Pekin its nice to hear people are still raising this marvelously good eating meat duck /

they also make great pets .. and i hear their good at insurance sales for aflac.

i couldn't eat my ducks lol, even tho my boyfriend wants to eat just one. i wont let him they are my babies

yes im from the same area, the house is a full sheet of plywood, cant remember its exact measurements but it has plenty of room for all five of them and then some lol, i can fit in there comfortably and im 5' 4". im using straw now, and i was considering putting it around the outside. i think it might be tall enough to put a heat lamp in there not sure I'm gonna try it out before winter comes. Thank you for the advice.

Where abouts? I'm from Malone. Oh it must just look small in the pictures. Yes straw bales around the outside would be good too. No problem. As bluejeans has stated ducks are pretty tolerant of the cold but since my ducks and geese are like my kids I like to make sure they are comfortable as can be. Not to mention I spent a great deal of money on them and I had a Pekin duck who froze to death last year and don't want that to ever happen again. It was horrible to go through.

From Croghan/Carthage Area. Yes it looks small i just quick took the pictures! Hopefully mine dont freeze, we had a disabled duck one night he just had his head bent down and was barely active. And well we didnt let him suffer but i bawled my eyes out. We even had plans to keep him alive. So im hoping to keep these alive for the winter.

Back
Top Bottom