1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to get rid of gapeworms?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kennedyscochins, Sep 15, 2009.

1. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    I have already lost 3 chickens to resp. problems: coughing, sneezing, infected eyes, etc. I have given them everything I can think of. I've tried terramycin eye ointment, duramycin and sulmet in their water and tylan injections. This worked for most of the sick ones, but I have lost three so far. So, I thought I would try to worm them for gape worms (just incase). Does anyone know what kind of medication to use for this? Please help soon!

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Are you sure it's gapeworm?The eye thing sounds like a parasite.Gapeworm can be treated with a good wormer,ivemectin is a good one.I had eye issues with my birds and I treated them with metronidazole,you can get it from your vet.They want you to bring the bird in so they can check it.I told my vet that I read up on it and pheasants are way to flighty to bring in and he just perscribed it.It is a generic form of flagyl if you have any of that around.
    In N.H.,Tony.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by