How to get rid of or capture chickens

Thanks for the comments. It’s so tough to say, but really there could be millions. And, them being people’s pets is part of the reason these birds are difficult to get rid of. We cant capture pets so there’s basically nothing that can be done about them, or the tens of thousands of cats that eat the chicks. I’ll check out the dirts jobs and I’ll take a pic later today when I’m at the warehouse.
Mahalo nui loa,
Peter

I could see how chickens might do extremely well there, and breed prolifically if they're free to do so.... is there maybe a rescue group that you could call in? If there as over populated as you say you might not be able to rehome them after catching them, catching and keeping them to harvest meat and eggs though.... that might be possible

the county won’t pay for anything and no animal shelter could handle this kind of population. Rehoming is what I would like to do, but is everyone going to buy the chicken coops I build? There are about 50-60 of them that snooze in my tree on my parking lot. I hate cleaning chicken shit every day!! Lol

Welcome!
That 'Dirty Jobs' episode is hilarious! It takes place in Miami as I recall.
It is sad that so many non-native species were released on the islands, and raise havoc with native critters. Maybe live traps, lots of live traps?
What are your local regulations? Start there, don't get in trouble doing whatever you decide.
Mary

I was kinda thinking that I could make a little fodder system that would attract them in every night and trap them with some kind of net or door and then find homes for them, but who will want these tiny chickens? They are so small as are the eggs. I have looked up the regulations and I would have to post and keep them for 30 days before I do anything with them. If I did this large scale, I might be able to get it approved, but again, what do I do with the chickens?
They truly are destroying the native lands. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I was kinda thinking that I could make a little fodder system that would attract them in every night and trap them with some kind of net or door and then find homes for them, but who will want these tiny chickens? They are so small as are the eggs. I have looked up the regulations and I would have to post and keep them for 30 days before I do anything with them. If I did this large scale, I might be able to get it approved, but again, what do I do with the chickens?
They truly are destroying the native lands. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Catch them and post them on craigslist for free. Someone will want them for free meat. When I moved off island I had to rehome my chickens and I got dozens of replies of people wanting to eat them. They can be eaten! Or used for dog or cat food. Someone will want them.

That is absolutely wild. Sorry you're having to deal with it and that they are so destructive.

Also, I've seen that episode of "Dirty Jobs", too, and it is probably one of the most entertaining, hilarious episodes they've ever filmed—which is saying something, since Rowe is a funny man to begin with. Can't remember what the chicken catchers did with the birds, though. :/

I lived on Oahu and know what your talking bout, I like the native chickens, they are almost like jungle fowl which makes sense because all the breeds theoretically when bred the combined genes take em back to the jungle fowl days. Live trap them. It would work great. Post them for free or for 5$ each, they’ll sell.

The removal of a feral population on the scale of even just Maui is not something for an individual to do. Efforts would be on the property of many people. The birds will not just keep coming to a feeding station as they have home ranges and territories that will restrict needed movements. I have been there, and numbers are not that high. Still, you will not be able to re-home that many birds. They will almost certainly have to be euthanized.

I would advocate for a limited hunting season with efforts advertised on way to prepare for consumption. As population size is reduced, they will become more wary and difficult to harvest.

the county won’t pay for anything and no animal shelter could handle this kind of population. Rehoming is what I would like to do, but is everyone going to buy the chicken coops I build? There are about 50-60 of them that snooze in my tree on my parking lot. I hate cleaning chicken shit every day!! Lol
I read and watched videos about the ferals in Hawaii. They are rather amazingly self-reliant, although they do mooch for hamburger buns and the like in fast food parking lots. They do look rather like the original jungle fowl, and the hens are very broody. I realize some view them as pests and other people like to see the bright colors and interesting behavior of a feral chicken population. I am sure there are “too many roosters” ... as they are difficult for property owners to catch except by trapping.

If they are on public property in Hawaii, I believe they are protected. That would be if they are on a road, sidewalk, or in a park.

If they are on private property (like your tree and parking lot), you may trap them and eat them. You may also search for nests on your property and catch and eat the broody hens (with gloves) and destroy the eggs. I doubt people will want “rehomed” ferals, except to eat them.

If some are caught like this, the remaining population will indeed become harder to catch.

Back
Top Bottom