How to get your ducklings to love you..

Empera

Songster
10 Years
Jan 27, 2009
Issaquah, WA
Okay, so I currently have 4 Khaki Campbell ducklings who are just about 2 weeks old. When I got them, they were terrified of anyone and anything that came near them. I've been trying to handle them more to get them more used to humans and their company in hope for some lovely, tame adults.

Well, earlier tonight I had some bad stomach cramps and I whipped out the heat pad. I put in in a shirt and stuffed in under my shirt/sweats.

The ducks were just done having their nightly baths and were all dry when I though to put them next to the heating pad.

It worked! Of course, it took awhile for them to realize that I wasn't a threat, and I was an excellent bed to lay on and cuddle up to. Had to hide them under a blanket at first, but after they settled down, I watched TV with them with their curious looks towards everyone and everything residing in the living room.
tongue.png

How adorable!
smile.png

I'd say it was half and half.

Every time I would move because I was in an uncomfortable position, they would scramble to get the best "spot" on the heating pad.

It was just amazing, because I've never been around ducklings or any tame duck for that matter.

smile.png

Wait until they are old enough to learn to love treats! The way to a ducks heart is through their stomachs....hand feed them and they'll follow you around the yard!
Khakis were the tamest I've ever had though so they should grow up to be good cuddlers for you!
wink.png

my ducks hate me. They act like I'm going to eat them, though of course I would never. They were raised by their mama duck, and then by a chinese goose, both of which totally freaked out if I got near the ducklings. I give them treats and they insist on staying 3 feet away at least. I'm going to try to tame them a bit more this spring.... stinky duckies.

ducks don't love people. period. Some ducks will grow to like people if they bond to a human. I have four ducks, two are 7 months old, one really likes me, the other could care less but puts up with my lovins. I have two 6 week old babies who were imprinted on humans, and have spent the past 6 weeks non stop with us and they are scared of us. They've literally lived in my bedroom and have been in my sight the whole time, and they run away and peep/quack if i pick the up. It's natural duck behavior. Nothing you can do about it. It often depends on the bonding and the individual duck. Ducks are not like dogs and do not like humans normally. Trust me, i live with four ducks in my house 24/7.

Back
Top Bottom