How to handle young chicken mating? 9 out of 10 times I want to cry.

Tslauson

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2018
So all of my chickens were born on 4/1/18. We just got our first eggs Saturday and there was 2. We have been getting 1 a day now. I know it's one of our leghorns. My rooster is a RIR. And was held a lot of a chick. But the passed few weeks. He has grown and now has a good crow. But he has also starting mating. Most times its pretty violent and my hens and screaming some have blood and there are feather all over my yard. He no longer let's my girls hold the hens unless I'm there to block him.
Should every time look like chicken rape?
Second concern: I have 2 white Cochins
The rooster does not mate with these 2. And they are super bossy. I see them picking on other hens and I have to yell at them to stop or chase them. Today I noticed one of them crowing and "she did it a few times. Later that night I saw her mount and mate just like the rooster. Could she be he?

Most times mating isn't pleasant for hens. You don't need the rooster and he sounds like he's becoming aggressive with maturity. It may be time to send him on his way. Roosters can be dangerous around children.

If your other bird is crowing and mating it too is a rooster. I often remove young roosters if they are making troubles.

There can be a lot of drama when the cockerels are maturing and acting 'stupid', with no adult hens or roosters to educate them and make them more polite. You have at least two cockerels, and how many pullets? There shouldn't be any injuries occurring out there; see who's being hurt, and who the culprit is, and remove that bird, at least for a while, if not for good.
This year, for your comfort, you may want to remove any cockerels that turn up. Next year, with mature hens, and more experience, a few new chicks and a nice cockerel may work out better for everyone.
Mary

I'm new to chickens with my first flock. We ended up having 3 cockerels and 13 pullets. As the boys were becoming sexually mature, there were a lot of unpleasant happenings with the girls.

The cockerels were most often just grabbing them by the neck feathers and pulling them around the run, not mating. We got rid of 2 of the cockerels, and the last one has been a totally different bird. It was as if having competition around made them all behave horribly.

I have not seen him do anything to the pullets at all, except one mating that the lady initiated.

Just a thought!

Some mixtures are not ideal. The RIR is big enough to damage feathers on your Leghorns regardless as to how gentle his mating efforts are. Swap him out based on that account alone. Secondly, you and your daughters are committing a major no-no in my opinion by picking up hens / pullets in a manner he does not like. It is pushing limits even further when you have to intervene to ensure your kids can handle the birds. My suggestion is you get rid him ASAP and rethink how you handle the other birds. Your current situation is ripe for having a rooster that is going to attack people on a regular basis.

So all of my chickens were born on 4/1/18. We just got our first eggs Saturday and there was 2. We have been getting 1 a day now. I know it's one of our leghorns. My rooster is a RIR. And was held a lot of a chick. But the passed few weeks. He has grown and now has a good crow. But he has also starting mating. Most times its pretty violent and my hens and screaming some have blood and there are feather all over my yard. He no longer let's my girls hold the hens unless I'm there to block him.
Should every time look like chicken rape?
Second concern: I have 2 white Cochins
The rooster does not mate with these 2. And they are super bossy. I see them picking on other hens and I have to yell at them to stop or chase them. Today I noticed one of them crowing and "she did it a few times. Later that night I saw her mount and mate just like the rooster. Could she be he?
Centrachid has given you good advice imo.
Do you need a rooster at all?
If you want hens as pets for your children then you can't keep a rooster imo.

You're cochin is probably a cockerel as well.
You should separate the RIR. My rooster, who's 2 years, is quite the gentleman with his ladies. I'm unaware of any lost feathers or scratched backs from his matings. He's also very respectful of me and my kids (who are teens). If he wasn't, he'd be in the freezer.

The problem is, your cockerels are young and full of hormones. They need to be separated until the hormones stop raging. If, after that, he continues to be cruel to the girls, then he needs to find a place in the freezer. Additionally, if he goes at you or your kids, he needs to go in the freezer. I don't tolerate an animal of any kind attacking a human.

I just separated my similarly aged SLW based on everyone’s advice here. We built a small coop and run just for him and he is still pitiful and whiny but now there is peace in the realm. I agree with the majority, separate him or cull him or rehome him.

Blood and feather loss shouldn’t happen all the time , but please realize these are animals doing what their instincts tell them to do , calling it rape is just silly and putting a term used for humans onto an animals actions is wrong .

He is mating , he has to do it ,

You don’t need a rooster to get eggs, in fact with children if you want friendly hens get rid of him , before he hurts your children

Back
Top Bottom