How to help chickens with bronchitis and other respatory problems

SilkieLaura

In the Brooder
May 6, 2017
California
Well, Today I took my chickens to the vet, because they were making strange whistling sounds and breathing heavily. I was horrified to find out that both of my silkies had bronchitis. Their vet gave them a shot and sent me home with some doxycycline. I love my chickens and I'm very worried for them. I was wondering if there were any other ways to help them aside from the medicine. Things like humidity or avc.
Anything that could help them in any way, weather it be to make them breathe easier or cure them, would be very appreciated

Hi @SilkieLaura :frowWelcome To BYC

I'm sorry to hear that your chickens are sick.

Infectious Bronchitis (IB) is a viral respiratory disease, so there is no cure. It can last around a month and make your chickens carriers for up to year. The antibiotics can help with any secondary infections. IB can cause a decrease in egg production, egg shell quality problems may be seen like having wrinkled eggs along with having watery/runny whites inside the eggs.

A few things you can do that may help - ensure proper ventilation in your coop, remove droppings under roosts daily to help with any ammonia buildup and try to keep the dust down (this can be hard - chickens are so dusty).

You may also want to try something like VetRx - some people report it seems to help - I would apply it at night since this seems to be when people say symptoms seem to be worse.

Offer some poultry vitamins in their water a few times a week and give them a boost in protein (egg, tuna, meat).

I hope they recover soon.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/78/infectious-bronchitis-ib/
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I am surprised the vet knew anything about chickens. I would say that as long as they are not stressed, I would say they will be fine. The vets meds should be the best thing.

To clear up nasal passages and prevent further disease, you can rub their beaks with Vet RX. It works like Vicks for chickens.

Thank you so much, guys!

the vet rx is on it's way. I've given them some tuna to snack on, and I've added some vitamin drops to their water.

Back
Top Bottom