How to introduce dogs to chickens?

Cluckywucky

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 14, 2014
Hi I have two border collies and we have just got 3 x 10 wk old sebrights. They are so much smaller than our previous chickens and I am wondering if anyone has some advice to introduce them to each other outside the run. The chickens are in a small run at the moment getting used to us (feeding off my hand and come to the rattle of food) but I want them to have some free roaming time around the garden when we are about. But slightly concerned that once they are out our collies will just herd them all the time. Any advice please.
big_smile.png

Thats brilliant thanks. Ours are a little bit too interested for me, but I think it is just inquisitiveness. Perhaps the herding collie in them will help. x

Both our collies have helped getting the chickens back into their run and there seems no problems. I was obviously just worrying. Herding instinct obviously kicked in.

I now have an issue where my ***** collie found a way into the run, I missed the hole in the fence and she has been eating the food. No wonder she didn;t seem hungry when I fed the two of them last night. She didn't just do it the once but twice. Thank goodness the chickens where out and about and getting extra food from the garden. Need to sort out my fence and make it more dog tight than chicken tight!!! haha
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom