How to keep a dog cool In the summer time?

Katu

In the Brooder
May 6, 2018
Wales
Today, A blast of heat has hit our country. Our dog Has been panting all day even when we gave her ice-cold water. Any tips to keep her cool?

I have a cool bed. It’s a water filled mat for them to lay on. There is also a cool vest.
I wouldn’t cool them down with ice cold water. That can be a shock to the system. If you think they are over heated cold water of their chest can help.

you can offer a pool if you want but if you have a double-coated breed make sure to dry them completely so that they don't develop hot spots. Make sure that the dog has access to shade and cool water (not ice water) at all times. A raised bed or cot that allows airflow under the body can also help keep them cool.

If the dog is in heat distress, put cool cloths (not cold) on the pads, groin and "arm pits". Don't give a hot dog cold or icy water as this can send the body into shock and can trigger bloat.

Panting doesn't mean that a dog is "hot" however. It's simply the way that they regulate body temperature since they don't sweat.

If you have a double-coated breed, NEVER shave them. Their coat provides sun protection as well as temperature regulation. A shaved dog of these breeds is actually MORE likely to overheat if shaved.

People always say don't clip heavy coated dogs. I have to disagree. When I lived in California I used to have Komondors and I also had a Newfoundland. These dogs grow very heavy coats and during the summer they were miserable in the San Joaquin Valley heat. I took the livestock clippers to them and they were different dogs afterwards. Two years ago I was ill and was confined to a medical facility for an extended period of time. I wasn't home to clip the Newfoundland and she died of heat exhaustion during a period of extreme heat here in Missouri.

neither of those breeds are "double coated" dogs though Cassie. I'm talking about GSDs, huskies and similar breeds. Komondors aren't and the cords hold heat and humidity. Newfies need to have their undercoat stripped out, not clipped.
don't shave.jpg

My friend owns a small farm but doesn't live on the property.We live in florida so its very hot most of the time. They are miniature Australian shepherds so their coats are thick. She keeps troughs of water and the dogs splash around as they please since they live on property, outside all day.

I've got a Bernese mountain dog that hates the warm weather, So we just give him a pool full of ice and he'll lay in it all day until it melts.

Back
Top Bottom