1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to keep baby ducks brooder dry??????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ronshoney, May 22, 2008.

1. Cameron03

Cameron03 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2013
    I know this thread is wicked old, but I think Im on to something I made an aluminum foil boat lol half of the size of my brooder. placed shavings over both sides with a 1/4 wall in the middle just enough for the duck and chick to have to step over. also placed some folded paper towels under the waterer.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Gots pics? they tell a thousand words.

3. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Yes, we need pics! :) Sounds awesome. IME those first 3 wks are the most difficult. Separate is the way to go.

4. Cameron03

Oct 6, 2013
    no pics yet but the side of the brooder with the waterer is wet, however the other half is bone dry :)

5. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    My brooder is on legs, the bottom has a 16 x 16" cutout with hardware mesh stapled on for flooring. I set their water dish on that. Works great. For the first couple of days inside I have a platform just high enough to fit a 1/2 cookie sheet under and do the same with the same results. Ducklings looooove their water.

6. Cameron03

Oct 6, 2013
    thats really smart... I wish i could do that but my duck and chick is in a rubbermaid tub

7. LeviS

LeviS Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    North Dakota
    I know this thread is a bit old, but would like to bounce this idea off of you guys.

I have 10 call ducks coming in May and want to avoid the incoming mess I know will happen. So my thoughts are, what if I were to put their waterer in a clear tub or something with one side cut out. Then put it on one side of the brooder and the feed on the other, I have a fairly big brooder around 4 feet long or so. But I also know how ducks work, it will be back and forth back and forth between the food and water lol.

I think if I left like a one inch lip on the bottom of the tub and put some garden hose or something around the sharp edges, it might be able to divert the flood and the sides of the tub should catch some of the fling debris.

I'll keep you all updated! Still have a couple weeks to plan out my battle strategy!

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Glad you are thinking ahead. Here is more food for thought.

[​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/641902/created-a-water-saver-for-my-duck-brooder

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/679433/water-water-everywhere/10

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/858161/feed-water-solution-for-brooder#post_12901321

1 person likes this.
  9. LeviS

LeviS Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    North Dakota
    That's actually exactly what I was picturing for the most part! Have you used that before?

10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The photo is of my watering station. I finally figured this out! I had a large plastic dog crate. I disassembled it and put sawdust pellets in the bottom. On top of that goes the straight-sided, flat-bottomed stew pot for water. There is a little extra moisture just outside the doorway. So I pull that out daily when I do room service. I scrape the poop off the top, with some of the wetter sawdust. Every couple of days I top dress with dry sawdust. Works so well!

If I ever brood again, I am going to put the chick waterer in this, and the food! In fact, lately the ducks have been splashing their food more, and I am thinking of setting up a food station as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by