How to keep chicks from sleeping in the nesting boxes

So remove it once they're settled for the night?they wont go running back in there once I open them back up?
I open the nest cover when I lock up, well after dark and by then the chicks are roosting somewhere not in the nests. I have several other roosts set up lower than and away from the main roosts.

I open the nest cover when I lock up, well after dark and by then the chicks are roosting somewhere not in the nests. I have several other roosts set up lower than and away from the main roosts.
I do have a smaller, lower roost set up for them that they havent used yet...but because they just go into the box. I'll close them up tonight and see what happens.

No they won't run back into the nests. Chickens can't see anything at night, so they'll be too scared to get back off the roosts.

In most cases, they won't. I do have a special needs chicken that, if she falls off the roost, will waddle her way very slowly across the floor (like inches at a time) until she bumps into the nests, and then climb in. We give her a lot of leeway because she can't help being how she is.

In most cases, they won't. I do have a special needs chicken that, if she falls off the roost, will waddle her way very slowly across the floor (like inches at a time) until she bumps into the nests, and then climb in. We give her a lot of leeway because she can't help being how she is.

I have a chicken that sleeps in a nest box too. She's a 4 year old barred rock, and she's just too old and heavy to get on and off the roost anymore. I let her sleep wherever she wants.

Back
Top Bottom