How to keep chicks from sleeping in the nesting boxes

They don't seem to be chased out of the nests, however, they do use the two boxes that the big girls don't use. I am afraid that if I block off those nests, they will move to the other nests. There are hiding places in the run.
There must be some reason they are hiding in the coop instead of partaking of the run space.
Are they ever out in the run? Got pics?

They use the roosts at night, it is during the day that they decide the nests are a nice place to hang out for a nap. Today it was late morning I chased them out. Yesterday it was mid-afternoon. They have a large enough coop (7.5ftx9ft for 10 chicks and 3 hens), plenty of other roosting spots that are high and an outdoor run. 😠 Chicks are 10wks old.

Are they in the nests all day? Or is this just off and on? Are they pooping in them?

My chicks are... 12 weeks now? They've been playing in the nest boxes but it's sporadic and they're at least not fouling them so I don't stop them. Figure it's fine if they want to explore, since my previous chicks didn't even notice the nest boxes and didn't realize they were supposed to lay in them. My hens will of course kick them out if they need to lay.

There must be some reason they are hiding in the coop instead of partaking of the run space.
My babies like to hang out in the coop because its cooler. They have a 35 x 25 run but decide the coop is better for them 😂

Yes, they do spend a lot of time in the run. They will play and rest outside and inside. They seem to like to sit on the edge of the nest box, and yes they poop while they sit there. This just started 2 days ago. Here are some pics of the run and the coop. This is only a temporary run while we wait for the proper fencing to come. There has been a major shortage due to the pandemic.
They are resting outside in this picture. The fence in the middle was when I had the littles separated from the big girls. They can mix now and the fence is open on either end. Although they don't really mix because the big girls haven't really accepted them yet. Nothing violent, just irritated by the young wippersnippers. :smack
P1140260.JPG

This is the coop. The nest boxes on the left. There are 4. There is a small lip at the front of each box to keep things in. The lip could probably be higher, but that won't stop them from perching there. I just checked them now that it is dark, and they are all sleeping on the roosts.
P1140262.JPG

P1140264.JPG

Yes, they need it. I just havent gotten around to adding it. Should have taken advantage of the cooler weather last week because we're over 100 again now.
How do you keep chickens cool in that heat? My Easter Eggers are panting in the shade before it hits 90°. As long as they free range and are in the shade it doesn't bother me but if they are in a pen I feel like they can't find a cool spot and I'm making them suffer!

How do you keep chickens cool in that heat? My Easter Eggers are panting in the shade before it hits 90°. As long as they free range and are in the shade it doesn't bother me but if they are in a pen I feel like they can't find a cool spot and I'm making them suffer!
We have tons of ventilation in the coop which I think keeps it cooler. I also have part of my run covered and they have deep shade under their coop. Cool water(frequent changes), frozen fruit occasionally or frozen veggies, and big ice blocks in a shallow pan for them to sip from or stand in.

Back
Top Bottom